1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uber's New Logo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I still haven't figured out how it's legal for them to get around the laws requiring cabs to be licensed, bonded, etc.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"Ride sharing." They are just people who happen to be driving to where you want to go willing to help out and offer a lift.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, that and the drivers not being considered employees seem to be pressing legal issues. It looks like their plan on that is to exist for so long that the laws accommodate them eventually.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They'll be too big to fail!

LongTimeListener likes this.
  5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I use Uber a lot. The only problem I've ever had is one time I had a driver who didn't use his turn signals. Other than that, for me, Uber provides much better service than taxis. I've had to wait 45 minutes to an hour for a taxi, had incredibly surly drivers, drivers who drove like maniacs, drivers with cars that could not possibly have passed inspection without a bribe and more. Is every Uber driver amazing? No. Is every cab driver a maniac? No. But for me, Uber has been cheaper, faster, cleaner and safer.

TowelWaver and TigerVols like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Uber is able to undercut the taxis because their drivers haven't had to pay the insane six-figure fees for medallions.

Uber's main service (black cars) is more expensive than taxis, at least here. UberX is the route to go to save the coin. Lyft is the way to go to save even more money.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The medallion thing is what was driving the scarcity of cabs and the prices.

I've been using Uber for a couple of years and its been very convenient and comfortable.

As for the employee thing, yes its a battle, but whereas the Uber class-action is pending; Lyft just settled their class action so that hurdle is behind them. I used Lyft twice this weekend and it was just as good as Uber (although they have tipping and Uber doesn't).

I'm just glad I'm no longer at the mercy of taxis and their obnoxious drivers who made me feel like I was inconveniencing their lives.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Speaking of logos, the Lyft mustache creeps me out like nothing else I've ever seen in advertising.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The only people who think taxis are a better alternative than Uber...have never used Uber.

FileNotFound and wicked like this.
  10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's been my experience as well.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The new logo looks like an ass.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm not crazy about Uber's business practices, but I've been exceedingly pleased every time I've used the service, with the rates and the quality of the vehicles/drivers. My experience with regular taxis is more along the lines of the 400,000-mile shitbox Crown Vic with ripped vinyl seats being driven by a maniac whose credit card machine "is down right now." Not having to take my wallet out of my pocket is enough of a reason to love Uber, and the fact that I've always been in clean, comfortable, non-smelly cars is a bonus.

Dyno likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted