1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ubaldo Jimenez Detained in AZ As Illegal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Apr 29, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no need for the law you are suggesting. If you get arrested and are illegal, you already are already indicted or handed over to INS. The part of the law you just said you'd throw out is the whole purpose of the law. Giving authorities authorization to randomly search people with no cause (or more accurately, at best, giving cops the go ahead to racial profile people).

2. No, they aren't. They know it can't be enforced. It's the opposite of an "attempt." It's counter-productive grandstanding.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's the point.
    Passing a bad law does not, in any way, resolve the issue of immigration control.
    It is more than possible to say 'I am in favor of immigration control' and 'This law is ridiculous.'
    If anything, this law hurts the position of reasonable, intelligent people who are in favor of immgration control and reform.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course not....

5. No. We are arguing that this is what is known as "What the Law Already Is."

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent with Buck.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm enjoying all the boycott news. Now if we can just get the people illegally entering the country to boycott Arizona, it would solve everyone's problems.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If I bought you a T-shirt with that statement printed on it, would you wear it?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't believe in racial profiling, but I like the idea of a law that targets illegal immigrants and expels them as quickly as possible. I'm just not sure how to reconcile one with the other.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Why, some of his best players are immigrants!

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At what point do they get to invoke the 10th? If it's an issue with federal oversight, and the federal government (seemingly) chooses to ignore that issue, don't the states have an obligation to step in and deal with it?
    Of course, Arizona's ability to prove that the feds have ignored the issue is another matter. One border patrol outpost in Douglas could be considered proof of federal jurisdiction. But it is an interesting argument.

12. Even if you could "invoke" the 10th, it doesn't give you the right to pass an unenforceable law that facially violates the individual civil rights of your citizens.

Also, where does your "interesting argument" end? What if the Iowa governor doesn't think that the president is doing enough to deal with North Korea? Can he round up the Iowa City High School ROTC and invade North Korea by "invoking the 10th Amendment"?

Draft saved Draft deleted