1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U2 mania all over again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Italian_Stallion, Jul 29, 2008.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's been 25 years since I saw U2 live. I need to change that. (Although U23D was pretty sweet.)

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And J-Timberlake. :D

3. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

The last two tours have seen spring U.S. dates following the release, summer Europe dates, then back in the U.S. for a fall swing. With the timing of the release, it might be setting up for something along those lines again.

If you're a U2 freak to the degree I am -- and it sounds as if some of you are -- it might not be a bad idea this time around to become a U2.com member, if you aren't already. I skipped it the last time around, because the club/web site had tons of issues, particularly with regard to preferred ticket purchases. But I just don't think the band is going to pull a Stones-type of thing and keep touring well past its expiration date -- so having an extra key toward unlocking tickets could be worth it this time, particularly if the album even comes close to some of the early hype.

Also, as Italian Stallion previously linked, the web site www.atu2.com is an excellent resource as new releases/tour information go -- and no, I don't work for the site. I just check it out constantly. But I know the gentleman who runs it. In fact, thanks to him, on the Elevation tour, I got into the heart with a ticket he was able to score for me just hours before U2's lone stop in my neck of the woods in 2001.

Here's hoping the least expensive tix will again be the most valuable. Did the heart in 2001, the bomb shelter/floor for three of four shows in 2005, including right up against the stage for one of the last U.S. stops in the fall. Unbelievable stuff -- and a pretty good time hanging around all day with all the other U2 junkies hoping their tickets would get them inside the heart/bomb shelter.

Can't way for the CD to drop.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, I doubt they can top Joshua Tree, IMHO, but they still can make some tremendous music, Pop being the exception.
    Can't wait until November. 2008 is shaping up for a great music year.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As Bob said, U2 has set that bar very, very high.

I will be pleased if we can even debate that the new CD compares with the JT.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

wfw

7. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I prefer Rattle and Hum to the Joshua Tree album. If you don't own Rattle and Hum, get it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I heard the same thing about one of the newer Stones albums. I bought it and I thought it sucked. Kind of felt the same way about the last Eagles album.

I have faith in U2, who I think has only put out one or two bad albums in the last 30 years (Zooropa and Pop) and Pop isn't even that bad.

I can't wait.

I've heard most of Chinese Democracy and it's very, very good. Not Appetite for Destruction good, but still an outstanding album.

9. Bob Slydell

what does wfw mean?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

word for word

11. Bob Slydell

Aah, i see.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Unless they're digitally remastering "Unforgettable Fire" and/or "Joshua Tree," I doubt it will be U2's best work.

Draft saved Draft deleted