1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U-T San Diego buying North County Times, or maybe not

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Sep 10, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Lot of back and forth today in San Diego County regarding a possible sale.

The San Diego Business Journal ran an unsourced article claiming the sale was done while others ran denials from U-T brass. Lee, which owns the NCT, has been quiet.

Lots of anxious employees at both papers.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/economy/article_eb22a3a2-fb9a-11e1-bc94-0019bb2963f4.html

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Meanwhile, this blogger finds U-T SD's editorial policy laughable:

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2012/09/san_diego_u-t_goes_loony.php

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That "blogger", Kevin Roderick, is the most respected voice on media news in SoCal and LAObserved is a go-to site for anyone interested in the subejct.

And he also happens to be right about Doug Manchester, a clown who's running that paper like his pet political playground. The U-T is a joke. He's a small-time Sam Zell with a more aggressive agenda.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Still a blogger. LAObserved is a blog.

Think we're long past the point where "blogger" is some kind of derogatory term.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It sounded a bit derogatory. If it wasn't intended to be, then my apologies to SoCalDude.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One issue the report doesn't clear up: Yes, Lee filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, but it was just a device to force terms on debtors (or so they told us). Also worth noting: The Chargers were (still are?) looking at Escondido (home of the NC Times) for a stadium site, and how does that hold up with the U-T's we-love-a-new-stadium-for-the-Chargers policy?

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It wasn't meant to be derogatory, it would have been "blogger" if it was. I've been reading Kevin's blog for many years, have emailed him info on occasion, and discovered that he lives a few blocks from my dad and his kids went to the same high school I attended.
    And, I've posted here a few times criticisms of the U-T operation. I even asked the new SE what he was told about the paper cheerleading directives, but neither he nor his assistant ever responded.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That editorial read like one of Manky's Jeter posts.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Kevin is good people and his site is fantastic.

That said, nervous folks in the north county and south Riverside County. Hoping things turn out well.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A commenter said she canceled after the paper named Dubya as the fifth-best president in U.S. history. I am afraid to research and find out if that's true.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

It's true ... and then, after even conservative San Diego fell off its collective chair laughing, the newspaper claimed it was, uh, "a provocative effort to stimulate community discussion."

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/sep/02/tp-readers-rate-their-top-five-presidents/

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Zell's agenda was strictly financial. Manchester's agenda is political too.

Draft saved Draft deleted