1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Open pool thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jun 13, 2006.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm thinking 2-over might take the title this year. Which means it will probably be 4-under.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No strange reason. USGA likes to convert normal par 5s into par 4s for the tourney.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Every time there's a "woe is me" tone coming out of the golfers and the pundits predict that 15 over will win the tournament, it still ends up being under par. Guys who hit the ball straight will be OK at this event. It's people like Tiger who tend to scramble a bit from the rough that could be in trouble. That's why I see Tiger not finishing in the top 10. I just have a feeling he'll be spraying the ball quite a bit this week, and that could get him in a whole lot of trouble at Winged Foot.

So Freelance, you wanna run the pool? ;)

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If Tiger wins, it will be one of the great sports accomplishments ever.

That said, Winged Foot is a monster and I predict +2 wins it. I think Tiger will die in the rough.

Re: the chase of The Golden Bear. This Woods bereavement is one of many things that Tiger has yet to have had to put aside in the majors, where Nicklaus obviously is in the figurative clubhouse.

Tiger has this, the effect of having children, and potential injury to hurdle while winning majors to have any chance of catching Jack.

I'm ever so slightly leaning against that happening.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Pool rules will be up shortly.

As for Masters results, they were posted a day or two after the event. Not sure if they've been purged yet or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted