1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. LLWS runner-up: Jackie Robinson West cheated, should lose title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 9, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or grown ass adults should stop giving a shit about 11 year olds plying baseball

Dick Whitman and FileNotFound like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is great:

An Illinois lawmaker has jumped into the fray after the Jackie Robinson West Little League team was stripped of its national title.

Rep. Monique Davis (D-Chicago) has introduced a resolution calling on Little League International to reinstate JRW’s national championship.

Last week, the league vacated all of Jackie Robinson West’s wins from the 2014 season, and stripped them of their regional and national titles, after finding team officials knowingly violated league residency rules by using players who lived outside the team’s official boundaries.

Little League officials have said team officials purposely redrew the team’s official boundaries in order to pick up a couple key players who were ineligible to play on JRW’s all-star squad in tournament play.

“The children who play for Jackie Robinson West should not be punished because of actions taken by adults,” Davis’s proposal states.

Davis’s resolution – sponsored by 28 other members of the Illinois House – also would demand Little League International investigate all other teams that played in the Little League World Series

“I am truly saddened by the decision to strip the Little League National Title won by Jackie Robinson West Little League team. The only way that I would ever accept this is if they performed a thorough forensic investigation of every team that played in the league,” Davis said. “When young boys, African-American boys, reach an achievement such as they did much greater thought should be given before actions are taken that could cause such great harm.”

Lawmaker Wants JRW’s Title Reinstated, Other Little League Teams Investigated « CBS Chicago

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The pitcher?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No, no. That's Mo'ne Davis.

This is the lawmaker who previously made news with this gem:

“I’m going to tell you what some suspicions have been, and people have whispered to me: they’re not sure that black people are shooting all of these children,” Davis said.

“There’s some suspicion – and I don’t want to spread this, but I’m just going to tell you what I’ve been hearing – they suspect maybe the police are killing some of these kids.”

When WBBM asked Davis if she thinks it’s possible that police are killing children, she said, “I don’t know. I don’t know that they are, and I don’t know that they aren’t, since no one’s been arrested. We don’t know who’s doing it.”

Davis called a news conference at her South Side legislative office Friday to says that, while some of her constituents believe that, she does not, nor does she believes she owes anyone an apology.

“My community believes that,” she said. “Should I apologize for my community’s beliefs?”

State Rep.: ‘Maybe The Police Are Killing Some Of These Kids’ « CBS Chicago

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

JRW leaving Little League for Cal Ripken.

Jackie Robinson West leaving Little League for Babe Ruth organization - Chicago Tribune

Pretty common -- Ripken plays on a bigger field and without such tight boundary restrictions, and it incorporates travel ball into the league a lot better. My hometown made this change a few years ago because they would have had too many LL teams and would have had to split the town for All-Stars.

Of course, my hometown didn't pull players from the next league over and try to hide it for All-Stars either.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Did they ever get all those trophies from the mayoral candidates/

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same thing happened here a few years back, the switch from LL to Ripken. Growth patterns in town changed, LL didn't want to switch borders, so league went to Ripken affiliation. From what I've seen, it's worked well, with one squad going to the Ripken finals last August. But its obviously not the same case as with JRW. It's more like they're shopping for a place for the team to play.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He already admitted this in the SB Nation article. He allows kids from out of his district to play, but not in any all-star team.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, unless they come up with something related to the All-Star teams, it's just a very poor attempt at revenge by the JRW folks. Playing out of district is very common all over the place.

12. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted