1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. LLWS runner-up: Jackie Robinson West cheated, should lose title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

David Haugh:

Chicago Tribune

(N)o matter what officials declare, it always will feel to me like something defined by a technicality more than a conspiracy. It feels as if Little League International is doing the right thing by the letter of its by-laws, yet it’s hard for me to look at this as an example of all that’s wrong with society or sports or our city. It’s hard for me to grasp the idea that this group of kids from the Far South Side benefited from a geographical advantage.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Obviously a racist conspiracy.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy, he's usually pretty smart.

That's fucking idiotic.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Las Vegas players are on their way to the airport now. Running late because they had to stop and get beer.

5. LongTimeListener

I think the biggest Vegas kid was 5-9 and about 170. That is a big 13-year-old* but not one who is wildly off the charts.

*Players are eligible if they are 12 or under on April 30, so a kid could be as old as 13 years 3 months for the LLWS. Like the Canadian hockey players in Outliers, a high percentage of these All Stars have advantageous birthdays.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You and I both know what they're listed at and what they really are aren't always congruent.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It appears they are still getting a trophy.

Chicago Tribune

Mayoral candidate Willie Wilson announced he would present the team a "special Black History Month trophy" to recognize their accomplishments and place in history. "It's a sad day when kids have to pay the price for adults undermining the rules of fair play," Wilson said in a news release. "Children are more important than rules."

Good for them.

8. LongTimeListener

I watch far more of the LLWS than is healthy for a man in his 40s. The Vegas team did not strike me as particularly overgrown.

The California-Michigan game a year earlier featured a 6-4, 225 pitcher against a 6-3, 200 pitcher. Now that was fishy.

Songbird likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Heaven help our country.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, rules are important for everyone.

Look how that "Entitlement Generation" turned out.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

How did I get in the middle of this mess?

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Would love to have seen what his opinion would be if the offending team was from, say, Grand Rapids or Indianapolis, and they beat a Chicago-area team on the way to the LLWS.

Draft saved Draft deleted