1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. expansion back in the cards for the CFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, Feb 5, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

If Oronde Gadsden puts a CFL team in Michigan, Detroit might finally have a pro football team.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=265881

If a former NFL player has his way, the CFL's tenth team could be situated south of the border.

According to the Globe and Mail, former Miami Dolphins' receiver Oronde Gadsden would like to pursue a CFL expansion franchise. Gadsden is familiar with the CFL through two former Toronto Argonauts, Ricky Williams and John Avery, who happens to be his cousin.

''I'm going to put my best foot forward,'' Gadsden told the Globe and Mail. ''I'm going to try. I've got a few interested guys down here with myself.

''Because of the suspension of the Arena Football League and NFL Europe, there's lots of people in South Florida who don't have a chance to play. In these financial times, you are looking for something with stability and the CFL is extremely stable.''

While Gadsden would like to put a team in the United States, the report indicates his group does not to stray too far from the Canadian border.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ain't gonna happen until Ottawa gets the Roughriders back and until there are teams in Quebec City and/or Halifax

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

This is how the invasion starts. Sensing America's soft underbelly vis a vis the economic crisis, they start with a CFL team. Next thing is NHL relocations back north. Then, we start noticing misspellings: colour, defence. It ends with Celine Dione and six-pack of Molson.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Dammit, youare ... our NHL teams down there are part of the infiltration!

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

So the cries to pull out of some markets are a ruse?

You've tipped your hand...

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It's been a very stealthy aspect of the operation. Good idea keeping it off TV.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Yes, that's all part of the plan. We are struggling in some areas but we will eventually have you all living in igloos.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I prefer my beachfront thatched-roof hut, thank you very much. :D

[​IMG]

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can you at least send Cobie Smulders to my igloo to warm me up?

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Got to say, I've caught a few of the CFL X-era games (I believe that's what they are calling them) on ESPN Classic Canada, and it was actually very enjoyable. If they do it, they have got to come in with a TV deal and make sure they have stable ownership and a realistic market. There is definitley the talent available and in these economic times, the CFL is actually a more appealing ticket than the NFL. As long as they do not have dreams of going up against the NFL, it could work. The fact that the salary cap is being enforced certainly makes it possible that there is a workable business plan. It's fast, it's exciting, and I've always maintained it's a better game than the NFL. It worked in Baltimore, and if they pick the cities right, it could work elsewhere.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The CFL should bring back the Sarnia Imperials, two-time Grey Cup champions in the 1930s.

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I have noticed it's been unusually cold this month. Coincidence or Canadian plot? Hmmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted