1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. eliminated from 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Avoid the sidewalks.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As long as he’s out running, give him a soccer ball to keep him company. Best way to teach a kid “touch”.

You just might have a future member of the USMNT if you provide this for him.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And I think there are some Latin American countries that would have an argument about the U.S. being dominant in baseball.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Give him a beer, a hat and a cup, and he is a shoo-in major leaguer.

5. dooley_womack1

There's an official logical fallacy about generalizing from an anecdote, but I ain't looking for the official name.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Except that it's not among children. Soccer is the most popular youth participation sport in the country.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I admitted my mistake.

8. dooley_womack1

Maybe in 3-4 soccer generations, assuming consistent coaching and not losing some of the numbers to other sports. That's not necessarily trolling. YF is saying grab up undrafted players and coach them up, and others are saying soccer is just kicking a ball; how tough can it be? Those are trolling

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Correct. At very young ages. In the upper middle class and above.

By the time you get to age 10, that isn't the case. And it's never the case in less affluent places.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I took a soccer class in the spring. In about four months, I went from not being able to kick a ball straight to occasionally being able to juke guys who were hoping to ride the bench on the community college's varsity team. Extrapolating from there, I could have been MLS by late next year.

11. dooley_womack1

I don't think Mickey Mantle is going to be much help to the USMNT

cjericho likes this.
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I also think we're selling short institutional knowledge. Driving all those young athletes to soccer might make MLS a lot better in 15 years, but they'd still be a half-step behind the truly elite countries.

Draft saved Draft deleted