1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. drone attack kills American-born Muslim cleric in Yemen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hokie_pokie, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it's great we're blowing fucks like this guy up left and right.

I also think it's the height of hypocrisy that the same people who wanted Bush impeached for killing foreign terrorists and not giving them due process are cheering the fact the Messiah is killing American citizens and not giving them due process.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jeez, didn't you know the rules are different for them? Libs were pissed that Bush merely captured John Walker Lindh and brought the little prick to trial. Can you imagine what would have happened if the Seals had put a cap in his ass?

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that the DP controversy with Bush had more to do with failure to provide due process to folks who were apprehended based upon scant to no evidence and imprisoned for years, some of whom turned out to be entirely innocent with no connection to Al Qaeda or terrorism at all. It wasn't about killing a well known Al Qaeda leader. But, hey, don't let that mess up the false equivalence fest.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Really? What "libs" would you be talking about? I sure as hell don't remember anybody being pissed that he was captured. You wouldn't be making shit up now, would you?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Reports are that they also got the bomb maker, which might be even more important.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Unrestrained executive authority to fight "unlawful combatants" on the "new global battlefield" is a debate many of us wanted to have years ago. Where were you guys then?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No hypocrisy on the President's part. He didn't start Gitmo. He didn't authorize the use of torture. He has kept up our attempts to deal with radicals abroad who keep trying to attack us, though. And that is something the president should be doing.

But these "victories" really don't excite people. They didn't under the Bush administration, and they don't now. The one amazing, noteworthy thing Obama did, was get Osama Bin Laden. That was the one name that mattered.

Taking out Anwar Al-Awlaki is fine and good, but we have been getting news like that ever since 9/11. Be honest. Had you ever heard of Al-Aklaki before yesterday?

I hadn't. Just as I hadn't heard of half the guys the Bush administration trumpeted getting.

Getting Osama Bin Laden, though? That was huge. And no matter how you feel about Bush or Obama -- or how they have conducted American policy -- it happened during Obama's administration.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I asked this after the bin Laden killing, and I'll ask it again, who is Obama's John Yoo:

You say you wanted a debate?

The Bush administration was clear and consistent about what they were doing, why, and under what authority.

You may have disagreed, but it's not like they avoided the debate.

We know who wrote Bush's memos. Who wrote Obama's.

And, will the left vilify him and call for criminal prosecution?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The

Of course they avoided it. The Bush Administation simply gathered as much executive authority as it could under whatever "legal" cover it could. Again, here's Yoo:

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/7kt6n5zf;jsessionid=496EC21BB29B495BCA946F510977D264#page-1

Lots of latitude in there for whatever the executive branch thinks is necessary to our defense. And the sunshine patriots went happily along with it.

The "left" criticized it then. And continues to criticize it. http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/sep/19/secret-license-kill/

And that makes it especially disturbing that the contours of US policy and practice in this area remain largely secret. Presumably the administration has developed criteria for who can be killed and why, and a process for assessing who fits those criteria and when their targeting is justified. But if so, it hasn’t told us. Instead, it exercises the authority to kill, not only in Afghanistan and the border regions of Pakistan, but in Yemen,Somalia, and presumably elsewhere, based on a secret policy. We learn more about its outlines from leaks to The New York Times than from the cryptic comments of US officials in speeches like Brennan’s. If we are engaging the enemy within the rule of law, as Brennan insisted we must, we should have the courage to make our policies transparent, so that the people, both in the United States and beyond, can judge for themselves. And if, by contrast, we continue to justify such practices in only the vaguest of terms, we should expect other countries to take them up—and almost certainly in ways we will not find to our liking.

Part of the confusion here is that you think the American "left" is somehow interchangeable with the Democratic party.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I like the fact that we're killing the shit out of these fuckers.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll keep cutting checks for more smart bombs if they keep killing people like this guy. American citizen, or not, this guy was an enemy of the state and at war with the U.S. Great job, CIA. Keep it up.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And, hey. The more of these fuckers they kill with drones, the fewer bloody Soldiers and Marines I pick up in helicopters.

Draft saved Draft deleted