1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. against the immigrants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jul 11, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

What's going on in Prince William County isn't right. It's as if everyone is blaming immigrants for all of the problems.
    And no, the average person doesn't carry a passport on them at all times.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure Hustle is a better authority than I am, but I'd wager to say based on what I've seen and covered myself, illegal immigrants carry a substantial responsibility for the criminal problems in the area. Is it a majority? It could be, it may not be. But because they aren't entirely responsible, does that mean efforts shouldn't be made to fix the problem? Or how do you fix the problem? Does a problem even exist? Many of us around here believe one does.

3. boots

boots New Member

That's a racist statement. I know you didn't mean for it to be that way, but it is.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't recall a post saying "Don't quash crime!" If there are illegals committing criminal acts, you arrest them and take the necessary steps. It would be the same with just about any criminal.

What I am asking about is in regards to this particular step. I don't consider it legitimate in the least and I believe it to be just a way for a bunch of people to push out people with darker skin than they have.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's because at the time most of them came here, there were NO restrictions on immigration. There weren't any until the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, and they didn't extend across all immigrants until 1921. A consistent thread to big immigration bills -- you'll find that they come in response to populist demands that some undesirable "other" is taking jobs, causing crime and sullying the (white, Northern European) character of America.

The dirty secret of immigration is that for every city that's looking at some sort of crackdown, there are a lot of others that are happy to have the oncoming wave. In the state where I grew up, Indiana, cities like from Fort Wayne to South Bend to Logansport that had been losing population for 50 years suddenly were shooting upward. For whatever problems the immigration might cause, the cities are happy to finally have someone interested in living there. Or least their leaders are.

Also, there is a growing school of thought that having immigrants reduces crime:
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/06/29/ap3872662.html

6. Flying Headbutt

The thing is in the past if illegal immigrants committed a crime, their immigration status wasn't called into question and often little was done in regards to that. Sometimes it was, but often they'd be let go after their punishment.

And while I applaud attempts to crack down, I admitted above these steps may not hold up in court, and ultimately end up being proved illegal. I want to see a lot done, but I also want it to be done legally and not in a zealous, "get everyone" manner.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Ok, F_H, when in the legal process do you deterine the legal status of a person? Would be after you arrest them? Would it be at a traffic stop? Where is it that the legality of the residence is determined?

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

hey, if a guy is arrested for committing a crime and it is deemed that he is not in this country legally, he should be deported without question. But that's different from stopping people at random to ask them to prove they belong.

9. Flying Headbutt

Zag, and that isn't what's going to happen.

Pastor, I would say either at the time of arrest or in the course of a traffic stop. I'm not sure how you'd determine what is and isn't probable cause to question one's legality either, just that I think that's the appropriate time to do that. Like I said, I think it opens the county up to a lawsuit for profiling. It'll be interesting to follow.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, as I pointed out earlier, do you carry any of the three items I listed above at all times? I can easily see a cop pulling some Hispanic over and asking him to prove he's a legal citizen. The citizen will be legal by birth, of course, but not have a passport or carry around the birth certificate.

This is why you can't just do these things at traffic stops. There are no real citizenship documents.

Now, if we are talking about a DUI, where an arrest occurs, you bring the person into holding. While in holding, you can then determine the legal status of the individual.

I cannot tell you how many times people get pulled over for bullshit reasons by cops. Allowing them to demand proof of residency will just make things worse.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Amerikka loves cheap labor. It's the cornerstone of democracy.

Which is just plain WRONG!

12. boots

boots New Member

Some people don't get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted