1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. against the immigrants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jul 11, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Hazelton Pa has a viscious law against illegal immigrants. Now, a nowhere place like Prince William County, Va. is on the verge of stepping the law up, running checks on ANYONE they stop for "probable" cause. Has Big Brother gone too far?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A now where place? Did you mean "no where" place like a suburb just a few miles away from the nation's capital? And they did step the law up yesterday. It passed unanimously, with two Democrats siding with six Republicans on the Board of Supervisors. And it's not going too far. When a majority of the crimes there are being committed by illegal immigrants and quality of life is being reduced there, the county is well within its rights to enforce its laws, and craft newer ones as well. And with the construction boom down, incidents of crime are going up over there.

3. boots

boots New Member

With construction down, those immigrants have no skills in a high-priced area. But what's going to happen is that people who aren't immigrants are going to be hassled for "probable cause."

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They should never have let all those Irish into the country in the first placee. Drunks and troublemakers.

5. Flying Headbutt

If it cleans up the crime then so be it. Those immigrants are there illegally to begin with. Most residents, not all, but I'd say a majority of those here legally, are in favor of the law that passed. Verifying legal status is not an infringment of the constitution when you're stopped for doing something else.

6. Flying Headbutt

JR, glad to see you're on top of the situation down here. Well aware of everything going on.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My major concern in this would be how law enforcement plans on determining who they should ask in order to verify legal status. Is it now a legal requirement that policemen ask everyone they pull over to prove they area US citizen? If not, what gives them the right to demand that a motorist, or pedestrian, produce documents proving their legal status?

F_H, if someone walked up to you right now and demanded proof that you are a legal resident, are you able to do so?

8. IU90

IU90 Member

The Irish came here legally, the key distinction you seem to be missing.

9. boots

boots New Member

Which is what's going to happen. No S.S. card. No proof.

10. Flying Headbutt

Yeah, my wallet with my government issued ID is sitting on a nearby table, and my birth certificate in my bedroom.

From the Post:

Well now that's going to set them up for some major profiling lawsuits, and the police are pretty much against the law anyway, so it'll be interesting to see how its enforced.

However any major changes are going to have to come at the local level because the federal government is incapable of handling this issue. However, illegal immigration in this area is a bigger problem than in most other parts of the east coast and bully for PW for doing something about it. I wish my enabling, nanny county would do something, but I know that'll never happen.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I can't believe I am actually going to write these words -- I agree 100 percent with Pastor on this. He is 100 percent right.

This is more rights infringements from the "greater good" crowd, the ones who seem to think the bill of rights and constitution can be thrown out the window any time our lives seem a little bit unsafe. It is the same kind of heavy-handed, knuckle dragging, draconian methods Rudy used to "clean up crime" in New York while turning it damn near into an area under the rule of martial law.

I don't want cops stopping me to ask me what I am doing and where I belong and I certainly don't think cops have traditionally shown the kind of judgement worthy of getting such a blank check to fuck with other people, either.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A social security card is NOT proof.

There are only three forms of evidence that can prove legal US status:
    1. Green Card. This is provided to temporary residents. It has a photo on it and provides an expiration date. It also shows the birthdate and address of the individual holding it.

2. Passport. This, again, has a photo, is produced by the country and provides personal information about the holder.

3. A birth certificate and driver's license. One of them alone does NOT work. The driver's license is a government issued document that should provide information about your residence and age, as well as photo. You need the birth certificate to prove that you were born in this country and are therefore a legal resident.

So, I ask again, how many people walk around their everyday lives carrying such items?

Do you walk around with your birth certificate?
    I assume you are referring to your driver's license when you say "government issued ID", so I will only point out that it isn't good enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted