1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U of Washington beat writer; The Everett Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Our college basketball beat writer is also our auto racing writer, as well. Pretty common at papers in the 40K-100K range to have a secondary beat.

What would you guess on this one? $40K-$45K range?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Let's see how it plays out in arbitration.

From today's P-I:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003606862_joa08.html

3. baskethead

baskethead Member

Anyone who has specific questions on this one, let me know and I can help you out. But as a general comment, this is a good opening in a good (though fairly expensive) location. I can get more specific, just send me a message.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Everett's still not as expensive as the Eastside, though, is it? I heard places like Snohomish are even starting to get expensive, but what about north of Everett? Surely there are some places near Seattle that aren't through the roof yet.

5. baskethead

baskethead Member

It's pretty much all going through the roof. Every day seems to get more and more expensive in the Puget Sound area. 700-foot, one bedroom condos are going for $200,000-plus in the North Seattle area, and forget about downtown. And even going north, it's pretty bad. Even Bellingham (up near the Canadian border) is getting out of control. But there are certainly worse places to live.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

You could always buy a house in Gold Bar or Index. I'm pretty sure you'd be priced out in Startup, though.

Unless you're a two-income household or willing to commute a great distance (like over a mountain pass), you're not going to be able to afford to buy a house on a normal journalist's salary.

You could always wait a year or so and wait for the supposedly inevitable burst of the housing bubble. Foreclosures are on their way up, I've heard.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Gold Bar used to have the best ice cream in the world. There was a mom and pop gas station there - back in the day - that sold really good waffle cones and we would always eat ice cream there on the way to Leavenworth. I assume it is no longer with us.

8. baskethead

baskethead Member

Claude is right, buying a home (or townhome, or condo, or anything) in this area is pretty insane, so if you're single and looking to buy, you're going to have problems. And be prepared to pay some of the highest gas prices and sit in some of the worst traffic in the country. But there are definitely times when the job is worth it.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that sounds so fucking enticing.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, the area north of Seattle is some of the most beautiful terrain in this nation ...

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Is this Larry Henry's old beat?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wicked, please, no wiseassninity intended, but have you seen any of the rest of the west side?

Draft saved Draft deleted