1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U. of Louisville football player shot, in stable condition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Jul 5, 2008.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/453173.html

The trouble continues for the Louisville football team. Kick returner and wide receiver Trent Guy was shot in the back in an altercation in downtown Louisville last night.

Kragthorpe is already in hot water with the fan base because of the season the Cards had last year and this off-season hasn't done anything to help him.

Add Guy to the list of Cardinals who have found trouble this off-season, a list that includes more than 10 players kicked off the team because of disciplinary problems. They've had a player eat a dime sack in front of a cop, a player rob a convenience store with an automatic weapon and just the other night, had a player arrested for DUI, driving without insurance, unlawful possession of a concealed weapon and marijuana possession.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Re: U. of Louisville football player shot

Krag is gonna pull a Petrino if things don't shape up soon, methinks.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wonder if Petrino might be interested in this job.

4. KYSportsWriter

Nah. He's already contemplating a move to a league he hasn't coached in -- the CFL.

5. CollegeJournalist

With stadium expansion in the works, a rival that keeps getting better and a fan base that's grown accustomed to good football over the past decade or so, I wouldn't expect Louisville to sit around and watch innocently if this kind of stuff keeps up.

Another 6-6 or similar campaign this year may be it for Krag.

6. KYSportsWriter

They won't can him yet.

I mean, they did just lose a Heisman-caliber quarterback and are replacing him with a nearly unproven QB...

7. KYSportsWriter

If Louisville beats Kentucky this year, Krag will keep his job. But, another loss to UK and a 6-6 finish, he could be gone.

8. CollegeJournalist

I don't think they can afford to can him, and I don't think Jurich would anyway. I think he's a little too, um, arrogant to admit a mistake that fast and I think he knows how much it would hurt his ability to hire a quality coach the next time. But there have been less surprising firings than this would be if the Cards have another underwhelming season.

I think Cantwell is the least of Louisville's worries right now, though. Its defense is horrific.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Did you just contradict yourself in back-to-back posts??

10. CollegeJournalist

Just found it in an AP story: 20 underclassmen have left the UofL football team since spring '07.

11. KYSportsWriter

Maybe. :D

12. How is Cantwell an unproven QB? If it weren't for Brohm, he probably would've gone from walk on to scholarship a lot sooner.

As for the rest of the squad, it's going to be a rough year, but I hope the fans won't be total jerks about it. The 2006 season was great, and regardless of the coach, it will take at least a couple of years to get to that level again.

Draft saved Draft deleted