1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tyson plant in Tennessee dumps Labor Day for end of Ramadan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 1, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Makes sense to me, although Glenn Beck and the other "Oh my god what is wrong with this world" commentators predictably will go ape shit.

Besides, Labor Day has always had a bit of a communist undertone to me.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You forgot the blue font I presume.

4. SigR

SigR Member

Heh, good point. Calling Labor Day a little bit communist is like calling someone a little bit pregnant.

As for the decision to observe the muslim holiday, my guess is that it was a pure business move that coincidentally accomodated the muslims. If it's common knowledge that workers don't show up anyway at the end of Ramadan, or, resent having to show up so much that it throws the plant out of whack, it's better to switch things up and just give them the day off at the expense of an easily forgotten holiday.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Goddamn Shelbyvillians .... next thing you know they'll try to steal a lemon tree from the neighboring town.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Maybe new to Middle Tennessee, but not in other parts of America. There are school districts that take off for Hanukkah instead of Christmas week (sometimes they overlap, of course) due to the demographics.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Labor Day is May 1. This first-Monday-in-September bullshit is the legacy of a capitalist effort to weaken international worker solidarity. Fuck the fake Labor Day.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought May 1 was "Watch the Tanks Parade Through Red Square" Day.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are 700 muslims in Tennessee?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

WHERE? Tel Aviv.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

That blew me away too.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]