1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Typo in the 2006 AP Stylebook?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Please turn to page 289, left column where the sample football agate box is shown.

In score by quarters, there is now an underscore _ between the team and player like this "Phi_Smith 6 pass from McNabb..."

In the past, there was a long dash — in that spot "Phi — Smith 6 pass from McNabb ..."

Is that just a typo or is the AP changing that for some odd reason?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Makes no sense to me any way else. Gotta be a typo.

3. August West

August West Member

there's no change in style. merely a matter of the differing keyboards used to produce the sample. the earlier version was from the days of atex which presented the long dash as you saw it. since moving to a pc-type keyboard (a long time ago), the long dash is now presented as an underscore to ap computers. many samples in the stylebook were updated to reflect content changes over the past 20 years or so and the keyboard differences came along with them.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so if ap actually did change its style in that manner, would you actually follow it?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nope.

I was just curious if I was going to be changing NFL and NCAA boxes from AP back to the old style, if the switch had been made.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Must have been the same copy editors who "edit" AP cutlines.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

:D

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If AP now uses PC keyboards, why do I still have to find and replace "-3" to "/3" on baseball boxes so I can fix fractions?

9. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Because some newspapers don't have the coding to do thirds.

Draft saved Draft deleted