1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tyler Summitt out after making Baby Techster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You wouldn't make a 25-year-old the CEO of a major company so why would you make someone four years removed from college the CEO of a basketball program?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

CEO of a basketball program. LOL. The Louisiana Tech basketball program doesn't have a CEO. It doesn't even have a VP. It has a senior manager, maybe a director.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, he was actually only 23 years old and just two years removed from college when La Tech hired him.

It truly was a mindbogglingly dumb hire, but I suspect nobody wanted to call it out as such because there was so much sympathy and goodwill toward Pat Summitt and the Summitt name at the time that nobody wanted to be "that downer guy" going negative about a Summitt family story.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I could see if it was a small D-I program that hired him, both to take a chance and see if he would be successful, and to get some attention for his last name. But a program as successful at La. Tech didn't need to make a name hire.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I saw something, I don't think on the SB Nation link though, that there was talk of this going on at Marquette too. Now if that's the case, La Tech could be in big trouble.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The alleged baby mama is a Marquette transfer, if the rumors are to be believed.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He was two years away from being able to rent a car when he was hired.

Stoney likes this.
  8. Pics?

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Interesting. His two years after college were spent as an assistant to Terri Mitchell at Marquette.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A case could be made, IMHO, for La. Tech having fallen out of the limelight, wanting to make a big splash (vs a map of Hawaii) with this hire. They've been through a couple of rounds of conference roulette as well.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And the way to make a "big splash" is to hire a 23-year-old to run your program?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Apparently. But we see how well it worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.