1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ty Willlingham out at UW

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck pinkel and the tiger he rode in on. that guy can stay the hell away from seattle.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The UDub fans should consider themselves lucky if their next coach comes from La Tech.

Washington hasn't been a destination job in a long time. Chris Petersen isn't walking through that door.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Teford is overrated. Sure, I think he'd make UW better, but he'd never win the league.

As for Willingham, regardless of the terrible situation he walked into at UW, I don't see him landing another top gig or even a mid-tier coaching gig for a while. There are more successful former coaches still waiting by the phone. If a big-time program hires Willingham after all this, I'd be very surprised.

And considering his personality, Ty ain't going to the TV booth anytime soon, either. Actually, that be kind of funny.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I hate the Huskies. Hate them. It's unhealthy how much I hate them. But it would take a profound lack of vision for a coach to not see what that program could -- and probably should -- be. Money coming out their ears and, beyond a stadium that needs renovation, fine facilities and many a coach who has mined California over the years. That job is good.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Plus they are willing to pay top dollar (three million per).

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As I said when he was fired, Kiffin would be a great pick here.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Why? And I do not mean to be contrary just to be contrary, but what has he ever done to make anybody think he's a good head coach? He was the reach of the century as Raiders head coach and the only thing he did while there was piss off Al Davis, which qualifies him to be my friend, but I don't get the adoration he's getting as a football coach.

Aside from that, having spent far too many years of my life around the UW program and its lackies, I struggle to see Kiffin as a fit. That said, it might be the Genius Move of the Year to go against typecasting for this one and actually go grab a Kiffin or Pat Hill.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

You kiddin me?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

his son, fanboi.

10. Mizzougrad96

Kiffin was a great recruiter at USC and got a lot of respect around the NFL for what he did as Raiders coach.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, since most organizations look for someone with the opposite characteristics of a previous hire, I think UW will go after a "personality", someone who makes the alums laugh and feel good. I'm amazed about the amount of support there is for Jim Mora Jr. whose claim to fame is talking about how he'd like to bail on an NFL team for UW while it was still in playoff contention. And that was three years ago. It's not like he's shown he's a better coach in the last three years. The Seahawks defense is in the bottom three. He should be sweating his job with Seattle instead of preparing to take the keys to the franchise.

12. Mizzougrad96

If I was a booster I would love Jim Mora Jr.

The guy cost himself a NFL head coaching job (intentionally, I believe...) by saying UW was his dream job.

That's a pretty good way to make the boosters love you.

Draft saved Draft deleted