1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two U.S. Navy vessels collide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Mar 20, 2009.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_us_navy_ships_collide

Damn! I hate it when this happens. First the Port Royal and now this. :(

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Do they have turn signals?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well I'll be darned. I opened a Yahoo News link and it didn't crash my browser.
    _____

As much naval traffic as there is in some places, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Having been through the straits, as well as the Suez Canal and Gibralter, on several occasions, the amount of precautions they take is actually pretty stunning. That this happened at all is a shock.

Not trying to pick apart your post, but just wanted to provide the sailor's perspective.

6. any thoughts on how this could happen?

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well, one key point in all this is the height of the USS Hartford when she's transiting on the surface. Even then, she doesn't present as obvious a "view" as a larger, non-submerged vessel might. Couple that with the height of the USS New Orleans and it can be more difficult.

With two surface vessels, this should never happen. But the forward lookouts on the New Orleans may, for some reason, have been unable to spot the Hartford, although that is absolutely their job.

Conversely, the lookouts on the Hartford definitely should have been aware.

The only way this usually happens is if the Hartford got boxed in by other traffic and couldn't do a sufficient course change to avoid the New Orleans.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

And proving that if a butterfly flaps its wings in China, or whatever the hell that saying is. . .

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i5TtajgUpSm7KY5jf-lCJGHBB-tAD971QMC80

Oil prices rise after news of Hormuz collision
    By GEORGE JAHN – 1 hour ago

VIENNA (AP) — Oil prices reversed course and traded higher Friday on news that two U.S. Navy vessels had collided in the Strait of Hormuz, the portal for about 40 percent of all seaborne traded oil last year

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And of course the price of gas here went up a dime a gallon over night. No reason for that to happen at all.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hell, the Ayatollah could fart and Big Oil will use it as an excuse.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

plus, throw in the fact that once they did see each other, it's not exactly like they could slam on the brakes.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Lousy government can't even spring for anti-lock breaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted