1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two sports staffers among Strib departures

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A truly sad day at what was once one of my favorite sections...

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Possible update (if not a D_B):

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2007/07/more_job_cuts_l.php

More job cuts looming at the Star Tribune?
    Filed under: Media

City Pages received a missive this afternoon from a Star Tribune employee suggesting that another round of belt tightening is imminent at the state's largest daily newspaper. I certainly can't vouch for the veracity of its claims, but given recent events anything seems possible. Here's the nub of it:

I'm a current (for now) employee of the Strib. There have been rumors flying around in the last couple of days that another mass layoff is imminent [next week], way larger than the last layoff/buyout ... which was 145 persons [for buyouts] from varying departments.

This coming from two different persons in two different departments.

Just an anonymous heads-up from a third-person party.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice timing.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wonder how many upper management types they're laying off...

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

None.

Those cocksuckers get to keep their jobs.

6. boots

boots New Member

Now that's sucking big time, without swallowing.

7. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Greedy cats prowling for their bonuses. In 2005, the 13 largest newspaper chains turned an average profit margin of 20 percent. The most profitable - McClatchy and Gannett- turned a profit margin of 30 percent; KR was at about 19 percent. Meanwhile, over the last 20-30 years, corporate America has averaged about 8 percent. It's sickening to see the buffoonery going on in the newspaper world. Part of my job allows me to see the inside workings of various businesses, and people in management really are as clueless as the stories you hear about. Managers who can't think, can't spell, can't make up their mind - decide one thing one day, and reverse course 2 months later and say we want the same result, but this is the new process. It's bullshit to have to watch.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Is this English?

9. umiami06

umiami06 Member

Chuck Haga has landed with the Grand Forks (N.D.) Herald, where he worked previously to the Strib.

10. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Looks like the link to the list is no longer working. Anyone have the list to post? Thanks.

11. donaugust

donaugust Member

Strib has had major errors on the sports front the last two days -- Saturday's paper had Barry Bonds name misspelled in a top-of-the-page refer (Barry Bond in about 24-point type) and today had a page refer to the Twins gamer taking readers to the wrong page.

Hopefully it's because everyone's working double time on the bridge coverage and not because this is what the Strib is going to look like from now on ...

12. boots

boots New Member

Shit happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted