1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two senior editor jobs, Sporting News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jeffd, Aug 6, 2010.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

I agree, they won't take the first completed application and declare a winner. But look at the long term. If you're at TSN and your boss tells you to put together a coverage plan for a unplanned news story (Steinbrenner, MLB perfect game, Rothlisberger accusations, etc.), you can't tell him to wait 2-3 days. You've got to be quicker.

If you need that kind of time, don't waste your time applying here. You won't last long.

2. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Let's just say we see this differently. For this exercise you're not in the TSN newsroom under deadline pressure. You have the luxury of taking the time you need to make your plan perfect. The homework assignment, in this case, is not about speed -- it is about quality. Folks who rush through the assignment will shortchange themselves.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

I think we're on the same page. Yes, you need to knock their socks off with a proposal and stand out from a flood of ideas that TSN is soliciting. (I'm not ready to say if I think the solicitation itself is a good one or bad one).

But yes, if you're good enough and lucky enough to get the gig, make sure you're capable of developing a kick-ass coverage plan thisfast to deal with breaking news or your time there will be short and unhappy.

Good luck to all applying, of course.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Anybody know if they're still accepting applications?

5. mrbio

mrbio Member

An idea stealer, and a cunning one at that. FU Jeff.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the mysterious post by Mr. Bio means?

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I assume this part of the application:

"— One great idea you’d propose we do in the magazine in October or November. It can be a 2-pager or a 10-pager, on any of the topics we cover — NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, college football or college hoops. Keep this to a couple paragraphs. You don’t need to go into the same detail with this one as the one above. No extra credit for longer pitches."

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The "senior editor" thing has been done before, too.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I've always wondered about that. When you submit your ideas during an interview process, it seems like bullshit for them to use your ideas but not give you the job.

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

That happened to my wife some years ago. She was invited in for an interview and was asked to critique the paper and offer suggestions, which she did. At the end the ME told her there were no openings at the time but they would consider her when that time came. She never heard from them again, but did notice that a couple of her suggestions were used.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Back to main topic: All these months later, did Sporting New hire anyone? And whatever happened to D'Alessio?

12. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

To claim SN is above such antics is simply naive. This is how greeting card companies stay in business. They constantly post help wanted ads, solicit 50 or so greeting card ideas, thank the applicant for the interest and enjoy the free labor.
    Since no one was apparently hired for either SN job, I'm assuming that was precisely what happened here. Feel free to correct me if that assumption is wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted