1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two rich kids run over guy, kill him, for tip jar money

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

You know, here's what pisses me off about this. They're eventually going to find these two kids. They're almost certainly from the STL area, and Crestwood, where this happened, is a pretty well-to-do area. So I'm 100% positive these are kids with rich parents, who didn't need the money from the tip jar but thought it'd be funny and it's their right as rich kids to take it. But these kids are going to get off with a slap on the wrist, if that. Probation. Maybe a misdemeanor or juvie until they're 18 or something weak like that. -- because they're kids, and people always seem to feel more sorry for kids, and because I'm sure they come from a rich family that'll buy the best lawyers it can.

And you know by now the kids know they're wanted. And their parents probably do too. And while the honorable thing to do would be to fess up and say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen" and take what's coming to you, or God forbid their parents make them do that, they're going to hide until somebody else recognizes them and turns them in.

As far as I'm concerned, whichever one was driving should never again have a view of the outdoors that isn't obstructed by razorwire. They knew they were doing wrong when they took the money or they wouldn't have ran from the good Samaritan, and they knew they were in deep shit when they sped off after running him over. As far as I'm concerned, that's Whatever-degree unpremeditated murder. Lock em up and throw away the key, at least whichever one was driving.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/8EEB2BB37E2F3FED8625740300130E0A?OpenDocument

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The mind reels.

3. Unbelievable story. Stealing the tip jar was stupid, annoying and irresponsible. Hitting the man could be an accident. Leaving him there to die is what should get them locked up.

And you're right. These look like suburban teens. The surveillance camera is crystal clear. They will be found, and probably very soon.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

St. Louis is a fucked up city. It's the only major metro I've been in where people in their 30s and 40s ask "Which high school did you go to?" within 60 seconds of meeting each other.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair, not enough adults in Pittsburgh actually finished high school to make that a meaningful conversation there.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's outstanding.

And quite true.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

What about Cleveland?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We talk about rustproofing products to break the ice, generally.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've got a question ... when is the surveillance camera industry going to catch up to, I don't know, the home video industry and make a camera that doesn't produce video that looks like the lens has been slathered with vaseline?

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Money will help them get off with a very light sentence.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I can see where these kids will get end up getting a sentence lighter than might be warranted, being it was an accident/spur of the moment occurrence that caused his death, nothing planned or pre-meditated at all.

And if they can get Leonard Little on the jury, they might just walk altogether...

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

buh.. buh.. buh.. they're good kids who just did a bad thing.. don't make them go to prison.

Draft saved Draft deleted