1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

two positions, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sister_havana, May 16, 2006.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Regarding the crime thing...the average scumbag who holds up a liquor store or skips bail is much more likely to haul ass for Florida (or California or Vegas) than to head to Colorado or Kansas...so that drives up the crime rate even more.
    The Sun Sentinel is a big kid job...don't worry about the conditions there.

2. berklonius

berklonius New Member

speaking of the job, is there anything new going on with it? or have the hiring editors fallen victim to the rampant South Florida crime?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

they're all in a ditch someplace, burried in a stack of resumes.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'm guessing they're a little busy with that Finals thingy going on.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Because NYC's crime rate per capita is better than many cities a fraction its size; it's twice as low as Los Angeles, which is very good for a city its size. In fact, in 2003, New York city's crime index (murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, larceny counts and auto thefts) was lower than the average for all of America.

I'm no NYC fan, far from it, but it's a pretty safe place to live comparitively. Yes, there are some really awful areas, but there are also vast stretches that are quite safe.

6. Any guesstimation on the number of applications received thus far?

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

i'm guessing at least 90 since reportedly Fresno got that many.

8. zman82

zman82 Member

i guess we sould all be careful then when we're called in for interviews. after reading this post i'm somewhat considering wearing a bulletproof vest while in the office.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Of all the legitimate issues that possibly could have come up with a job like this, I find it hard to believe that crime has somehow worked its way into a discussion.

We're talking about Fort Lauderdale here, not Compton.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, I do apologize. It was mentioned off-handedly and grew into a monstrous debate when I felt that I had to defend my honor. You see, I haven't had a regular column-writing gig since February, so I occasionally go on verbal offensives.

In any case, do you think I still have a shot at getting the job? LOL

11. zman82

zman82 Member

never thought i'd hear ft. lauderdale and compton compared to one another. somewhere ez e is rolling over in his grave.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've felt considerably less safe in parts of South Florida than I have in New York, Los Angeles and many other parts of the world.

Like a septic system, Florida's gravitational pull is such that a lot of the nation's SHIT naturally flows down there. Including hardened criminals on the run, as one poster already alluded to.

Draft saved Draft deleted