1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

two positions, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sister_havana, May 16, 2006.

1. Just Another

Just Another New Member

This job has been open -- but not posted -- since at least last fall. Steve Gorten, who used to do Broward preps, got the Panthers beat. They're moving one of the Palm Beach preps writers to Broward when this job is finally filled.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

any idea on how fast they're trying to move on this?

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

My guess is they'd like this filled before prep season (so, assume mid-August)

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

But the question remains. Anyone have any idea on this? I've seen it in quite a few job listings lately, and it always makes me wonder.

5. who left?
    and didn't plaschke get his start here covering preps? ???

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wait until I alert the feds that the Sun-Sentinel is discriminating against Cubans who live in boxes. And you're playing it off as though Bobby McFerrin approves.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Wonder why they aren't asking for clips? Does anyone know if they are going to pare down the resumes and the contact those applicants for clips?
    What is the cost of living in the area?

8. HeinekenMan

The Sun-Sentinel is part of Homeland Security.They have copies of everything that you've ever written, including that naughty letter to your ninth grade squeeze Melissa. (And quite frankly, they're appalled. She wasn't even that hot.) They just need you to send the resume to verify your interest.

Cost of living can be tough to estimate. I usually base it on housing costs. Go to apartments.com or a realtor site and you can compare to where you're at now. It's not like the price of milk changes that much from place to place.

9. Ok, does any body have any idea what is going on with this opening? I got a feeling they are waiting till the NBA Finals are over before they move on this.

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

11. HeinekenMan

If you drank a gallon per week and paid $2 more than in Wisconsin, you'd be out an extra $102 per year. I think I'm paying about 50 cents more in Florida than I was paying in Illinois for a gallon of milk. So that's about an extra $25 per year. As for housing, my rent went from $500 in Illinois for a three-bedroom house with a two-car garage to $1,250 per month for a two-bedroom apartment in Florida.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted