1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two-page resume...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Sep 26, 2007.

?

Yay or Nay?

1. Yay

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Nay

25 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I just started looking for a new job, and when I peaked at my updated resume it was two pages. This includes awards.

If you answered nay, what essentials are you looking for on a resume?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Omit your award for second-place in the county fair belching contest, and I think you'll see it will all fit on one page.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

"yay" but I only have references on it. I have my education, work experience, skills and awards on the first page, and references on the second. I forget who I heard it from / where I saw it, but I've always heard to stick it to one page, unless you want to do references on a second page.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

One page. Don't make your prospective employer have to work too hard. Chances are that if it's a two-pager, the first glance it will get is from the trash can.

Also, at the end of a resume there should be one statement - "References available upon request."

5. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'll echo Jeremy.
    Stick to one page if at all possible. Maybe look at how you've organized the bullets/sections etc. to save some space.
    I do have a separate reference sheet, and much like Cougargirl said, I note that it's available upon request.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Normally I agree, Cougs, but in my case, I break out references onto a second page, so either they can take it or leave it.

The resume itself is one page, and if they wanna keep looking and look past the references, and go straight toward the clips, go for it.

7. farmerjerome

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll have to cut some stuff.

Excuse me, it was first place and it wasn't even close.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

This is why I heart farmerj.

9. farmerjerome

That and Nipplegate.

BTW, should that be on my resume under skills?

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Don't the first and last statements here contradict each other? If you don't want him to work that hard, shouldn't you make it so he doesn't have to request references?

I understand the general sentiment here, but unless a candidate is padding and stretching his resume, how much extra work is it to just flip a damn page. I have the same set up as Jeremy, references on the second page.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"Can lick 20 nipples per minute."

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I did NOT participate in Nipplegate. I just recorded it for posterity.

That being said, fuck, I wish my resume took up a full page. Even with four references, it doesn't barely fill a page. I suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted