1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two of the greatest movies ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Aug 27, 2007.

1. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Over the past several weeks, I've come across I and II on various channels (AMC, Bravo, etc.) and, when I've had time, I've watched bits and pieces. My wife keeps giving me hell about it -- "How many times can you watch a movie over and over?" To paraphrase the great poet Fresh Prince, sometimes wives just don't understand.
    Anyway... have to agree with spnited, the baptism/revenge sequence is simply awesome.

2. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Pure fury has never been silently displayed as well in film.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

IIRC, they only had contracted Brando for a limited number of shooting days (an error which FFC would repeat in AN) and they realized that there was no scene with just the two of them. So the scene was written in one night and shot the next day. The details in the first movie are great -- like Vito brushing lint off of the Turk's pants in the first meeting or the way that Sonny dresses very un-Vito like when they are deciding how to respond to Vito's shooting.

My favorite scene was the Tom-Vito scene after Sonny died. Great acting by both. The way that Brando allows himself to grieve for a few seconds, then gets back to work by ordering Tom to make phone calls.

4. Duvall's the underrated presence in these movies. Great, great acting in the face of other great acting. (James Caan is better than I remember him being.) For me, I've got to go with Abe Vigoda in the driveway. Watch the way Duvall just sort of faaaaaaades into the background as the muscle goons come forward.
    I also like the how-to-make-spaghetti scene.
    And all of II, which is think is one of the greatest American political-small-p movies of all time.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Anyone see the Godfather Saga on Bravo? There's all kinds of extra scenes from the first Godfather I know I've never seen before. I'm wondering if it's DVD.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's fun to watch The Sopranos and pick out the GF references. The scene at the undertakers is probably the best, but there are easily over a hundred references to the first two movies.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

I agree on the scene in II. Pacino does a great job of expressing so many emotions.

And the whole hospital scene in I, the long shots of empty corridors, the sounds of the baker's footsteps approaching with that chime music, the tension is unbelievable

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

The final montage in Part I is probably one of the most iconic sequences ever shot in cinematic history. It shows the hypocracy of Michael Corleone in all its ugliness.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Amazing that when you start breaking down scenes in these two films, you get an even greater appreciation for how great they really are.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

the moment when i knew michael was all in: during the visiting vito in the hospital scenes, realizing all the protection is gone, he whispers lovingly to vito: 'i'm with you, now, pop. i'm with you."

or something like that.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Don't forget both times whan Kay gets a door slammed in her face.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

DeNiro taking out the Black Hand during the San Rocco festival. Him just sitting in the flickering dark, and the smoking towel afterwards.

"Michael, your father loves you very much." The line of the movie that explains everything and how it started.

It was the San Rocco parade, correct?

Draft saved Draft deleted