1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two jobs - one writer/one desk - Baton Rouge Advocate

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Baton Rouge Advocate is expanding its daily presence in the metropolitan New Orleans area and is looking to fill two newly created positions:
    1. New Orleans-based sportswriter to be part of our team covering the Saints, Hornets and local and college sports.
    2. A copy editor/paginator for our copy desk in Baton Rouge.
    Please direct resumes, clips and queries to Executive Sports Editor Joseph Schiefelbein at jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Good for them.

And if Ammenheuser booted someone for misspelling his name in the cover letter, good luck to those applying to Mr. Schiefelbein. :)

3. slc10

slc10 Member

I have a solution to the mizpeeling of the last name. A simple copy and paste work should do the trick.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You would think. You'd also think it would be the kind of thing you would double check.

5. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Moddy, is there an official site with the ad?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure - they sent that to me and asked me to post.

7. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

The Advocate moving into N.O., and the T-P/Nola.com moving into Baton Rouge. Let the battle commence!

Joe is a great guy. The sports guys there are totally understaffed and they produce very good work. I believe their annual Football publication is coming out on Tuesday, and it's supposed to be a couple hundred pages or so. I'm guessing Tyrann Mathieu threw some wrenches at that one, though.

Good luck to all who apply. If you have any questions about the area or the paper (I don't work there, but know some folks there), feel free to ask me.

8. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Anyone else get a bounce-back when trying to email? Hell, I copied and pasted, even.

9. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Their football preview is "a couple hundred pages?" And they're understaffed? They either have a large staff or they're really, really, really over-worked. How many newspapers produce a football section that is "a couple hundred pages?"

10. Try pkeys@theadvocate.com -- Perryn Keys, ASE

11. Yeah, they're not understaffed. From a former writer there who also worked at smaller papers, I can tell you there is no shortage of folks there. In fact, I was often embarrassed about telling former co-workers how many desk guys we had and how many pages we got each each day compared to much, much bigger papers in the South. There's room for a lot of restructuring and I suspect Schief will do that as time goes by.

12. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

It's a preview magazine, not a preview edition of the paper. And it's probably closer to 150 pages.

I guess I consider having one prep writer for the entire metro area understaffed. They do have good numbers for LSU coverage though.

Draft saved Draft deleted