1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two jobs, one offer -- what do you do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by anders2144, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. anders2144

    anders2144 New Member

    I am on the hunt for a job and interviewed last week for a PR job I don't especially want and interviewed yesterday for a journalism job I definitely want (same salary, same city for both).

    The problem: the PR folks just called and left me a message with a job offer. I'm not supposed to hear from the journalism crew until next Monday, and that's probably just to schedule another interview.

    Is it possible to put the PR folks on hold by asking for time to think things over? Do I contact the journalism crew and tell them of my pickle ("I was offered this other job today but I would rather work for you") and hope it lights a fire under their asses? If you're in a position to hire people does that kind of thing impress you -- "this person really wants to work here" -- or just annoy you -- "this person is forcing my hand."

    Any and all advice is welcome...and needed....
  2. Jake_Taylor

    Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

    Tell the newspaper people the situation. They understand and if they don't then that's something you'd want to know before going to work for them anyway. If you're the leading candidate they might speed up the process to avoid losing you.
  3. dixiehack

    dixiehack Well-Known Member

    Thank the PR folks profusely, then ask them for some time to discuss this with your family. If you don't have a SO, invent one for the occasion. If you haven't talked specifics concerning salary, benefits, etc., do so now. It will give you something to legitimately mull over. At the very least, if they won't give you the weekend they should give you until Friday to decide, which might buy you enough time at the paper.

    And if the PR job is anywhere near me, hook a brother up. I'm desperate.
  4. Just_An_SID

    Just_An_SID Active Member

    With the offer in hand, you need to decide whether or not it is worth it to wait for the other job to decide.

    From your post, it sounds like regardless of whether the other job comes across with an offer, that you might not want the PR job. If this is the case, turn it down and move on.

    If you want the PR job, but not as much as the other job, then call the other place and let them know the situation. (do this ONLY if they have already talked to you about the job). Tell them you would prefer to work for them but don't want the other job to get away from you. If they want you (or are more than mildly interested), they will speed things up.

    If you aren't sure what job you prefer, then don't do anything to screw up the offer that you have. Having been at the other end of this situation, you are only going to piss off the person who has offered you the job and might lose out on the offer if you wait too long.

    Good luck.
  5. SoCalScribe

    SoCalScribe Member

    I've been in similar situations and tried to drag it out, but the place making the offer usually sniffs it out and starts pressing you to decide (aka pick them) before you get an offer from a place you assumedly like better.

    You've just gotta hope the newspaper is willing to speed up their timetable for you. If the PR place presses you, definitely start asking a bunch of arcane questions about benefits, etc., to slow them down.
  6. HeinekenMan

    HeinekenMan Active Member

    I've always found that a straightforward and honest approach works best. Tell the PR folks your situation and ask how much time they can give you. Then go to the paper and explain the situation and go from there. When you drop the news on the PR front, there's a chance that they'll sweeten the deal. They might also show just how much they suck.
  7. JayFarrar

    JayFarrar Well-Known Member

    I'd for sure get all the details hammered out before I told the PR people yes. Money, benefits, perks, everything. If all that was acceptable, then I'd go the PR route. Better quality of life since you wouldn't have the suckass newspaper hours and while pay is the same now, your pay potential is better down the line in PR.
    You can always keep your name in the rotation by stringing for the paper and if the PR thing didn't work out, you could hit the paper up for a full-time gig.
    Just one person's thought.
  8. GlenQuagmire

    GlenQuagmire Active Member

    Screw that. Take both.
  9. gumbojumbo

    gumbojumbo Guest

    Consider the knowledge and advice you've received in the professional world as well as in college and high school from people you know and weigh the pros and cons and go with instinct?
  10. Just_An_SID

    Just_An_SID Active Member

    I wouldn't do this because the PR people probably aren't stupid and they will figure this out relatively quickly. The honest approach is better. It might even create a better working situation at the PR place, especially if they really want you.
  11. Twoback

    Twoback Active Member

    Pure myth.
  12. SEWnSO

    SEWnSO Member

    So, vicious, you only thought you were confused before! Take all the advice and then pray!
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page