1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Indiana brothers OD at same party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've got a bad back from an old hoops injury and it flares up pretty severely every couple of years, including this winter. I saw two different doctors at my medical group and each one asked me within about 10 minutes what I wanted them to prescribe by way of painkillers. Amazing how easy it is to get that stuff legally.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm ignorant about painkillers. Other than killing pain, what do they do? Do they give you a buzz or make you feel high? Seriously, I have no clue.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I took them for a couple days after a surgery last year and really didn't find the experience an close to pleasurable. I guess just feeling less of everything makes some folks happy.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You seem like the type who's high on life.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Heroin has been synthesized since the 187os, and it comes from poppy plants -- the R&D for the plant was probably completed thousands, if not millions, of years ago -- human-investment free! Aspirin manufacturers don't pass along non-existent R&D costs either, for what it's worth.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I had ulnar nerve surgery while in college and was prescribed something I recall as being Demoral, or something that sounded like that. It really did the trick for the pain but I don't remember any other stuff out of the ordinary.

7. cranberry

Yes, my glass isn't just half full; it's overflowing.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Was prescribed Vicodin for a back injury about 20 years ago. First time I took it, it was a blissful couple hours. I've taken it since a handful of times and all it did was make me nauseous and give me a headache.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Point taken, Rags. And aspirin and heroin compete in a truer free-market economy!

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Heroin can only be made and sold illegally. Nothing free about that market.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Free from the FDA!

Regarding painkillers. The hard stuff I took after having wisdom teeth removed just made me feel groggy and fuzzy headed. They say some get a sense of euphoria when taking and then people shoot up larger doses, etc.

12. cranberry

That's what happened to me the couple times I've had Percocet (Oxycodone). Just made me feel nauseous. Used them just to get through the worst pain, then got rid of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted