1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two good ethical issues from the NHL playoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Apr 18, 2008.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Two problems solved.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

No. You have the power to determine whether he is, in fact, the MVP of the playoffs. Simply vote on that. Bottom line.

These clauses are in contracts all across sports. This is nothing new. Just do your job and vote based on his performance. It seems simple enough to me.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Wrong answer.

Don't vote.

If Player X on the team you cover gets a $100,000 bonus for winning "X Individual Award," do not submit a ballot.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

PR departments routinely make copies of articles to include in press packs given to the media and I don't think most newspapers have a problem with it. Sure, there's a difference between distributing it to the media and distributing it to ever fan.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Huge difference between 100 copies for media reference and 20K to hand out at the front door.

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The Post did everyone a big favor by saying no. Twenty thousand sheets of paper distributed to fans translates to 20,000 paper airplanes aimed at the ice over the next three hours.

Huge difference between 100 copies for media reference and 20K to hand out at the front door.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I don't know how many of you have been to games at the Wachovia Center, but a large percentage of the old Neanderthal/knucklehead Spectrum crowd was priced out years ago.
    These days, paying Flyers fans are more likely to sit and read the business section of the WaPo than throw anything on the ice.

Draft saved Draft deleted