1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two football stat questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by melock, Sep 11, 2009.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

There is a difference in holding penalty enforcement between high schools and colleges. In college ball, if holding occurs between the tackles, it is usually enforced from the previous spot, giving you 1st-and-20. In high school, it's a spot foul, which gives you 1st-and-23ish.

2. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

HS game. Ball on offense's 32. Pass complete to its 46. Flag. Block in back. Ball marked back at 25.

How many penalty yards? Rec yards?

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

thank you

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I believe it's yardage to the spot of the foul. Then penalty yards for however many yards they went back.

So in your scenario, assuming it's a 10-yard penalty, it's a 3-yard reception and 10 yard penalty.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would love to see a guy who averaged more than 100 yards per reception.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Marked from the spot of the foul. This would be a 15-yard penalty, so the play would be: pass completion to 40 for 8 yards, then -15 in penalty yardage, and it's now 1st-and-17.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

There is a special provision in the stats rule book for option plays. Second carrier gets the yardage AND the carry (first carrier gets nothing) if the ball is pitched close to or behind the LOS.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

IF the penalty is enforced from the previous spot, there is no play, no rush attempt, no yardage. Just like you wouldn't credit yardage on a pass play that gets called back by penalty.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

True, but it's also true if the penalty is enforced from a spot behind the original line of scrimmage.

Essentially, you cannot credit a ballcarrier with negative yardage when a penalty occurs. (Unless it's a tack-on, i.e., a late hit.)

Draft saved Draft deleted