1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two don't have to qualify for KY state golf tourney, everyone else does

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.khsaa.org/news/20102011/nr091310.pdf

BOARD OF CONTROL ENDORSES COMMISSIONER’S RECOMMENDATION ON JUNIOR RYDER CUP PARTICIPANTS

In a conference call on Friday, September 10, the Board of Control, at the request of Commissioner Julian Tackett, reviewed a potential issue related to participation in the postseason golf tournaments by Emma Talley of Caldwell County and Justin Thomas of St. Xavier High School. Talley and Thomas were two of twelve individuals in the nation selected to participate in the Junior Ryder Cup, the most prestigious amateur golf representing the United States.

The event is being held September 27 and 28 at the Gleneagles Resort in Gleneagles, Scotland, and requires travel by the two students, who have represented their schools continually during this regular season, at the time of the scheduled regional tournaments. The Board approved Tackett’s recommendation that in the event that the teams from these two schools do not qualify for the state tournament, the two individuals would be added to the state tournament as individual participants. If the teams qualify, a waiver is not necessary as any individual on the regular season participant list can substitute on a qualifying team.

“It seems nearly unconscionable that we would ask these two individuals, who have represented their school all season and throughout their careers, to choose between representing their country and representing their school at the most exciting time of the year”, Tackett said. “Working with Assistant Commissioner Butch Cope, who formerly
    headed our golf operations, we worked the last few weeks to find a way for these two to be able to play in our state tournament should they desire to do so, and not impact any other student-athlete. It would be different if this were any other event, or if these were not regular season participants throughout the year. It seems like the perfect win-win situation that benefits kids, which should always be our primary objective where possible.”

Both Talley and Thomas have already played an 18-hole competitive round on the respective regional courses that will be used for their school, and that score will be used to place them in first-day pairings should the waiver be necessary.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know I sure am glad we get these Kentucky prep threads a couple times a week.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So what's the problem? This is one of those cases where an exception should be made.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Justin Thomas could qualify for a state high school tournament left-handed, with persimmon. He's the real deal.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I see what you did there.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Thomas and Talley are really good. I've talked with Talley several times, mostly when she comes to the big invitational hosted by one of our local teams. They're both indeed that good. I think Talley is the No. 1 junior in the country.

I think the issue is making up rules on the fly once a season has started. Talley had gone on the record already and said it was a tough choice - between Ryder Cup and missing State because she wouldn't be there for regional qualifying - but she was fine with the decision (heck, she gave up the state title last year after realizing she had signed an incorrect scorecard ... she could have taken an 8 on the hole in question and still won).

In my 10+ years of covering sports in Kentucky, I don't remember any exceptions being made for individual sports. Same with my boss, the city editor (former sports editor) and managing editor (former sports writer). They've both been covering sports in this area for 25+ years and they don't remember it either.

Not sure it's time to be making rules on the fly. The KHSAA makes track and tennis kids choose between graduation and the state tournament all the time. And while the Junior Ryder Cup is a HUGE deal, you only have one high school graduation ceremony at school in front of your family.

Of course, with both kids being outside the area, they're not taking away a qualifying spot from one of my area golfers or anything. And the kids in my area would have to have a lot go their way to even have a shot at beating Thomas or Talley.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, in similar situations involving tennis, Ohio tells the athletes to fuck off.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether these kids should have waivers, a single qualifier for state in a sport like golf is silly. Something more like swimming, or at least several potential qualifying tournaments throughout the year, would make more sense.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I seem to be unsure about what it is that he was referring to in the post that you originally highlighted.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Why is it silly? It's a regional tournament. That's how you get to state. No state association can put the time and effort, nor should they, for qualifiers during the year. You answer the bell when the calendar says. I'm not a fan of the waivers, it opens a can of worms. Would a player who missed the regional due to a death in the family get a pass? How about a player who is really, really sick? "Playing for one's country" is fine and good, and I know these are great players, but that shouldn't make for special consideration.

11. accguy

accguy Member

The other thing with golf, it is also possible that they can simply add one more group to the field without a ton of issue.

Also, I don't know how KY runs its high school regional golf. Do they allow a firm number of players from each region? Or do they say "top five and ties," for example.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't really see how you can criticize the association for being flexible and reasonable.

Draft saved Draft deleted