1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two cops killed in Hattiesburg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, May 10, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're on the street because you can't impose life sentences for possession of stolen property and drug dealing.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How about gun charges?

And, while not knowing the details in this particular case, I'd settle for violent criminals, criminals who use guns in a crime, serving their entire sentence. Way too often, the guys that commit violent crime don't serve the time they are originally sentenced to.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes they do, because everyone knows what the "real" sentence is, including the law makers who write the guidelines with the notion of day-for-day or 85 percent credit in the background.

You can put over-incarceration in quotation marks all day and night. It doesn't make it any less true.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

According to the story, they were arrested on gun charges before. Not clear if they were convicted.

Even still - those are not life sentence infractions. Sooner or later, the guys will be on the street.

5. YankeeFan

I vote for later.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If they'd have been caught with crack instead of guns, chances are they'd still be locked up.

7. YankeeFan

I think there is room for criminal justice reform. I also think we need to keep violent criminals off the streets for as long as possible.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

1987 wants its talking point back, YF.

We do not under-incarcerate in America. We don't under-incarcerate violent criminals. We don't under-incarcerate any kind of criminal.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and RFK, Jr., would disagree ...

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If RFK Jr. is your moral compass, you're doing it wrong.

doctorquant likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As has the majority of America, in the form of voting for legislatures that routinely double down on harsher sentences.

You're late to the party by a couple decades.

Draft saved Draft deleted