1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two cool shows on the History Channel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Pawn Stars and American Pickers. Not sure exactly why, but I enjoy both very much.

Chumley on Pawn Stars is a Kent Dorfman clone.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Pawn Stars is cool. Kind of formulaic (like Antiques Roadshow meets American Chopper), but some of the stuff people bring on there is interesting.
    Haven't really gotten into American Pickers. The one dude looks like a Luke Wilson clone, and the whole thing feels like a scouting trip for future episodes of Hoarders.

3. I'm kind of addicted to these two shows as well.
    I think the AP guys are gay - not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Not a fan of Chumlee.

The guy in the purple hoodie with the tunnels lf junk - I know he was thinking if the camera crew wasn't there he could have killed both them and made their skin into a new dress.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I love Pawn Stars but don't care for American Pickers.

It amazes me some of the stuff the PS guys have in their shop. They've got a Patriots Super Bowl ring and a couple of Olympic medals. Even in Vegas how do you get to the point of wanting to hock these items?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I like Pawn Stars.

I also like Life After People.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't mean to piss on your parade -- well, actually I do -- but this is example 37 quadzillion of perfectly good channels being taken over by mother fucking reality-show horseshit. Trash dealers looking for trash. Who gives a flaming flying fuck.

The funny thing about the History Channel (actually, it's not funny) is that there is hardly ever any "history" on it any more. See also Music Television and "music," where it all started, and just about every channel everywhere, now being overrun by the same shit, dumb fucks trying to do some stupid shit and generally failing. (The near-complete disappearance of any "science" from The Science Channel a particularly flagrant example as well.)

To think a half-dozen well-placed bullets in the skulls of the creators of "The Real World" and "Road Rules" 15 years ago might have saved the world.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like 'Pawn Stars.'
    'American Pickers' is no good.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

See History International. Much more inline with the early days of History Channel. Still show WWII specials all the time. Lets not forget Ice Road Truckers as a reality show.

I would think I like the premise of Am Pickers, couple of guys going around looking to buy old stuff, but I can't imagine there is that big of a market for it.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Almost started a thread on Pawn Stars last week. Really liked that show.

And Starman ...

[​IMG]

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

More I watch Pawn Stars, the more I like it. The old man is a riot, and stuff that walks through the door from day-to-day... just awesome.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A-fucking-men

Add to this the fact that the Travel Channel has become the Man vs. Food Channel/Las Vegas CVB Channel as well.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My boys (10 & 8) love PawnStars.

Draft saved Draft deleted