1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two college beat positions in Toledo

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HackyMcHack, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That kollege requirement sucks, too. I cans reads and writes.

2. doodah

doodah Guest

Well, what if you are a senior in college about to graduate but only have a year's experience writing for the school paper. To me, that is petty on the paper's part. You can be just as good with that year as you would be with two. Bush league

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Word.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I agree, but I don't think anyone is saying that.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just remember, most of the time, experience/education requirements are GUIDELINES, not anything set in stone. If you really feel you are up to the job, apply. If you blow their socks off with your presentation/package, they'll work around whatever requirements are listed.

6. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Any word on this?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Outdoors" and "Toledo" seem as incongruous as Tokyo and beignets.

"Hey fellers! Can you print this picture of this 32-inch tractor tire I pulled out of Lake Erie?"

8. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

In Toledo's defense, best walleye fishing in the world in Lake Erie's western basin if you're into that kind of thing.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hardly.

The outdoors editor at The Blade actually gets to do some cool things. Markey is only the 3rd guy to have the job in 80+ years. Former Outdoors Ed. Steve Pollick went fishing with Inuits, spent 17 days in a rustic cabin in the middle of the Upper Peninsula wilderness in the middle of the dead of winter just to see how to survive such conditions and canoed so many waterways around the world, he probably lost count. Markey's already continued that tradition and put some pretty neat columns together in his short time at OE.

It's an enviable position to have at the paper.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Outdoors coverage is one of those things that can help build readership too. I've looked into ways to add some, but it's impossible at a paper our size with the amount of time it would take.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

If all fails, contact your local Department of Natural Resources information director and see if they can shoot you some stuff every once in a while. You wouldn't believe how many people go gaga over things like deer hunting numbers, yearly bird counts and fishing reports. That or look into seeing if the local 4-H or FFA director wants to write a column. Takes a little editing, but they usually have some good stuff that readers eat up.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent point.

Draft saved Draft deleted