1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two cancelled subscriptions in one week because of me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 11, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can't disagree with that. Probably a pretty good assessment.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If you are a 30,000 circulation or under here is what you do. Run JV scores and junior high on the agate page and if you have the staff to take the highlights, then add a highlight or two all in agate format. If you don't have the staff to take these calls, then you can't run any JV or junior high. Period. I mean 50,000 and up papers have way too many schools to do any sort of JV, junior high crap.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You can get it on DirecTV. Channel 213, right between the NFL Network and NHL Network.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Walking that balance beam is one of the most difficult things to master for a lot of mid-sized newspapers. I know there are a lot of days I struggle with it.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

We're in a curious situation for a midsized paper (@20K). We've got a nearby D-1 school, a couple of good JCs and about two dozen high schools in our area, with limited staff. We really don't have the resources to deeply cover the varsity programs for more than a handful of the closest-in high schools, so JVs and freshman-and-below bite the dust.

We'll do some youth and rec stuff, especially in the summer when everything else is slow, but not in any great depth or detail. The party line for a lot of that is, "you send it in, and we'll try to get it in the paper sometime soon." Most of the everyday rec and youth stuff goes in a recurring calendar that runs 2-3 times a week, and most everyone seems satisfied with that approach.

Draft saved Draft deleted