1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Joined. Two weeks later remembered my log-in information and posted an "update."
    Have no clue what I'm doing or why I am doing it but wanted to give this thing a try, especially if it throws a brother some business.
    Can someone, not a wiseass, explain in simple terms what this is and why I should (or shouldn't) be on there?
    It looks like Facebook status updates without the other stuff (which may not be a bad thing, given all the damn quizzes)

We thank you.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

What's your name? I want to follow you.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ask AMacIssac. She uses for updates and stuff. I mostly just follow other feeds (more like an RSS feed) -- the lolcats, Society to protect journalists, the NYT, Shaq.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Never mind, Moddy. I found ya.

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Moddy, now that you're in the entrepreneurial world, I'd suggest you hook up with other PR pros, like I've done, and learn from them and share information with them.

#journchat, a discussion between PR pros and journalists that occurs every Monday night (have to check on the times but it's around dinner time for me), is also a great way to dive right into the Twitter realm. You can either follow along by going to search.twitter.com and entering #journchat or going to tweetchat.com and enter journchat as the room. Tweetchat has an auto refresh function.

I've learned a ton by participating in journchat. It's been a great resource for me.

You can do the search now and last week's Tweets will still show up.

As well, you might want to find out if anyone is Tweeting under a particular hashtag for your city. (All a hashtag does, really, is facilitate the search process, defining your topic.) That's a great way to spread the word about your business locally and get to know people in your locale.

I've also used it to connect with media and pitch stories, believe it or not.

140 characters forces one to be fairly concise, something which many journalists appreciate, no?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

God help me.
    Is McDonald's hiring.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

In your country? No.

8. Notepad

Notepad Member

RebeccaLobo

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

I know the feeling
    I'm guessing you and I are close in demographic, and I've moved from the print world to the on-line world. Like you, I've been investigating twitter and its uses

Does it have a use? Debatable, but it is certainly at the forefront of the 2009 lexicon, as Facebook was for 2008

We're going to use it in our shop for instant news updates, but not to alert readers to a new posted story. More real news coming from the games, practices etc, from our entire reporting staff

I don't know how to use it for your purposes - networking etc. It would seem to me that reading someone's inane updates (and not suggesting yours are, but most are (see, SHAQ) - would make me hesitate on the professional front, but that's just me

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just found you.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think Facebook will be around much longer and has much more use.

Twitter is prominent in large part because of its extensive collection of celebrities. In todays society, the ability to track the everyday movement of stars like Dave Matthews, Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Martha Stewart, and Britney Spears is something people enjoy doing.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm mainly using it for headlines (ESPN, CNN, &c). From that point of view, it's better than Facebook.

But for nearly everything else, FB (and for that matter, MySpace :-X ) is better than Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted