1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter pays engineer $10 million as Silicon Valley tussles for talent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 13, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

Your interests were different than your sister's, not you aptitude.

You really think your sister couldn't figure out how to use commas correctly if she put her mind to it?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Go be a stand-up comedian.

Tomorrow.

I want you having audiences rolling on the ground in six months.

And I want it on tape. On youtube. And posted on here.

Six months. No excuses.

It's just training your brain to be funny.

Go. Six months.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How is that you don't understand that people are gifted in different ways? I could never have become a software engineer. I could never have become a surgeon. I could never have become a hedge fund manager. I could never have become a CFO. I could never have been a great auto mechanic. Hell, I couldn't even learn a foreign language. To suggest anyone can do these things is an insult to the people who have developed their natural gifts to excel in these areas.

4. YankeeFan

I've already done it. I killed.

Do you really want to compare something like that to the ability to learn math or science?

Societies that put an emphasis on teaching math and science crank out adults who are good at math and science. They're not any smarter than we are.

5. YankeeFan

Of course you could have.

You could learn a foreign language now if you wanted to.

If your education, starting at a young age, had emphasized math and science, you certainly could have been a software engineer or hedge fund manager. And, while surgeon might require a level of dexterity not everyone has, I have no doubt you could have become a doctor if that was your goal from a young age.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I guess you're not one because you're lazy, not stupid.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of being "good at math." It's a matter of being "exceptional." These guys don't make these salaries because they're good. They make these salaries because they're exceptional. By definition very few people can do that, no matter how much society emphasizes math (or whatever).

9. YankeeFan

Hey, I'm smart enough to know how to properly use the quote function.

And, my stand up routine was about St. Patrick's Day. I seriously killed. Lots of fun. Maybe I'll do it again someday, but it would be hard to top.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Youtube or GTFO

11. YankeeFan

Oh sure, the guy raking in $10M is exceptional, and likely is far smarter than any of us.

But, the "average" engineer in Silicon Valley is making over $100,000. You don't need to be a super genius just to be an engineer. Those skills can be learned.

And, so many are turned off by math and science, that we'll never know who might have been exceptional if they had pursued such a path, and had the proper education.

12. YankeeFan

100%.

Liberal Arts was more of a focus in my family as well, though one brother is a mechanical engineer. (I credit his love of Legos as a kid.)

I wanted to get out of school as fast as possible. The idea of a career that required an advanced degree did not appeal to me at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted