1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twin Falls Times-News (Idaho) sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 4, 2008.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

From journalismjobs.com:

The Times-News, a growing 24,000-circulation regional daily in Twin Falls, Idaho, seeks a multi-talented sports journalist to complete a four-person sports desk. This position offers the chance to use your best strengths and also grow in other areas. Whether you’re a great writer, page designer or outdoors enthusiast, we’re interested. The position will include a variety of responsibilities from feature writing to high school game coverage and some page design. We also have a weekly outdoors section to which you can contribute. Applicants should have sports writing and page design experience (knowledge of Quark Xpress is a plus).

Twin Falls is home to the College of Southern Idaho, one of the nation’s elite junior college programs. Our circulation area also includes more than 30 high schools, so story opportunities abound. The town is a friendly, dynamic and easy-to-live-in community surrounded by world-class recreational attractions, ranging from Sun Valley skiing to white water kayaking, to superb golfing, mountain biking, fishing, hiking and camping.

The Times-News is part of Lee Enterprises, a publicly held company comprised of more than 50 dailies. Our benefits are outstanding and our managers, from top to bottom, strive to provide leadership that values our employees and helps make our newspaper a fun place to be. Our benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, profit sharing, employee stock purchase plan, and paid holidays and vacation.

Send resume and work samples to Mike Christensen, sports editor, Times-News, P.O. Box 548, Twin Falls, ID, 83303 or email mike.christensen@lee.net

Didn't they have an opening just recently?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They have openings often. I'm not really sure why, so don't ask me!

The College of Southern Idaho is the one where the SID asked the softball team "Shaven or unshaven" for the media guide.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. That's why it sticks in my memory! ::)

4. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Isn't there a movie called Twin Falls, Idaho?

5. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

We've got a guy moving from the high school beat to a hybrid copy desk/graphics design position, which he's quite good at. Right now, it's a four-person staff with two part-timers and a couple correspondents. We (try to) cover 30 area high schools across seven counties, along with CSI. This job will probably be prep-heavy with one weekly design shift.

If you're interested, holler. I'm rarely on here anymore but I'll answer any questions. Anyone interested might want to apply quickly if they already haven't because I think our sports editor wants to move really quickly on this with winter tournament season approaching.

Beat does not include coverage of horrible movies about conjoined twins or features on pubic hair preferences of collegiate softball players. Well, maybe it does. A little...

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Also a Built to Spill song that was later covered by Ben Folds Five.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Who wouldn't want to work here? Heck, I was born in Twin Falls -- that alone should make this a destination job.

8. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Not only was Idaho born in Twin Falls, but the town is growing like nuts. A new Class 4A school is going to open in 2009, bringing a cross-town rivalry to the region for the first time and creating a solid six-team 4A conference. FYI, Idaho goes up to 5A. Otherwise, I'd describe the area as comfortable but sleepy. Not a great place to meet people if you're single but there's good mountains for snowboarding, biking, etc., and pretty good fishing from what I'm told.

The Times-News office is a bit like a bomb shelter (See: few windows) but if you're doing this job and spending a lot of time in the office, there's something horribly wrong. Our deadlines are 11:30 p.m., daily and 11 p.m., Saturday, which make things difficult but not unmanagable. We have a new ME who's pretty aggressive and our SE is a good guy. You'll have to bring your own ideas in to avoid a steady diet of gamers but if you can come up with your own stories, you can pretty much define your own beat.

Oh, and you'll also get to sit by me, which is nice. I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty cute. For a fat guy.

9. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

The job in question is mine for another week. If you have questions, are mildly curious or just want to say hello, send me a message.

10. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Oh, and you'll also get to sit by me, which is nice. I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty cute. For a fat guy.
    [/quote]

This is what made me apply!

11. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

What can I say? I'm a natural salesman.

12. This is a joke right?

Draft saved Draft deleted