1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tweetdeck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone use it? Why? Is it worth it?
    A friend has it and likes it so I thought I'd give it a try. I got one of those download warnings that made me a little nervous.

Gimme the 411 pretty please.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

I've been using it for a while now and I love it, especially with recent updates they've made to it.

It displays both my Twitter and Facebook account and allows all the interactions through one portal (although you must know that with your friend who's already on board) and I love the fact I'm not traveling to multiple sites. If anything, it's just great for saving time.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Like: Can set up separate columns for Follow Feed, Replies, DMs, favourite searches.

Like: Automatic refresh, although limited per hour. I think limit is 150 refreshes ... that can seem a lot unless you Tweet constantly. (And I don't know anyone like that. :D)

Like: Allows you to update Twitter and Facebook at the same time

Like: Can update several different Twitter accounts from one browser

Like: Own URL shortener and easily accessible

I'm pretty much limited to what I can download onto my work computer, so I can't have it at work. I use the web-based Hootsuite instead, which is not dissimilar to Tweetdeck.

4. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Agreed on all accounts, with everything said so far. It's also a good platform for the iPhone.

The ability to track and Tweet on several accounts is far and away the best feature.

I think it's a slam-dunk.

5. Moderator1

But what is it warning me about, what is going to crawl inside my computer?

6. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I dunno. Haven't installed on my new laptop, plus I like Hootsuite too much.

Is it the Adobe Air warning?

7. Moderator1

Yes. I think.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

On a personal level, what can Twitter do that Facebook cannot?

Twitter = 9 minute abs. Obsolete when someone came out with 8 minute abs.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I asked someone that exact thing and they looked at me like I was some idiot. I'm on twitter, but I don't use it and I use Facebook all the time. I just got tweetdeck on my iPod, but haven't really used it.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I use facebook for keeping up with family and friends.

I use twitter for news from things I'm into: Some chess tutors who post regular video lessons, a bunch of webcomics I follow daily, a few athletes.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Headlines and breaking news. If nothing else, it's awesome for that sort of thing. Also good for quick messages; probably even better than AIM and similar applications for that.

Plus, Twitter's interface is so simple it can be put into about anything. It will never be a big moneymaker---I actually think it will end up being termed a "commercial failure" and open-sourced, which will allow it to become almost ubiquitous.

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Shouldn't have a problem. It's a program that allows the API to constantly refresh, or something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted