1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TWB

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 11, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So I'm tubbin' at the hotel while I'm on vacation and there's maybe eight people in the hot tub, one of them a black guy in his late teens early 20s. This resort has a policy that guests are to wear armbands identifying themselves as guests while using the pool facilities. Nobody in the tub has one one. Resort security guard (who is white) comes up and says, "OK folks, I need to check everyone's arm bands." He's looking at the black guy. Nobody says or does anything. Guard says, "OK let's see 'em," then makes the black guy get out because he doesn't have one. Coupla minutes later the black guy comes back, sans arm band. He just sits there and shakes his head, then gets up and leaves again. I can't rembember ever witnessing such clear discrimination. I've never felt so ashamed to be white, and because I failed to speak up.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I would have spoken up. You should have, too.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yeah, me too.

4. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

I would have left the hot tub and acquired an armband. But that's just me.

[​IMG]

5. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

If you can't remember ever witnessing such clear discrimination, you'll never seen Los Angeles cops dealing with residents from black and Asian neighborhoods

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, I've never seen LA cops dealing with anyone, owing to my limited time in LA. I wouldn't say I've led a sheltered life, but I've just not witnessed anything like this personally before. BTW, I just sent an email to the resort detailing what happened. Not as good as speaking up at the time of the incident, but it's something.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You did the right thing.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There was an incident at the Salt Lake City Greyhound terminal once. I'll never forget that moment.

9. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted