1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV's Ugly Betty - a hummer in the first five minutes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Logical enough, though I probably wouldn't recommend allowing your underage kid to drink -- not so much because of any moral or ethical issues but because you get rung up for child endangerment if the police think you're allowing a minor to drink.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think the reason the original poster -- the parent of a 12-year-old girl -- is upset by the situation is because yes, today's 12-year-old girls probably know about blowjobs through playground talk, and yet seeing one glamorized on 8 o'clock TV has a way of sticking to the brain. A quick, subliminal reference just doesn't wash away. Maybe the poster's 12-year-old daughter is still innocent and will begin to wonder why a secretary was getting up from under the boss's desk. Maybe she'll start to fantasize and wonder what it'd be like to "drop a pencil" under the desk of the 7th-grade English teacher she has a crush on. Yes, it's farfetched. But the idea has been implanted in her developing mind. And so that's why the parent of a 12-year-old daughter has every right to be concerned, angry, outraged at covert sexual content he didn't think he'd have to worry about on network TV.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Not trying to start a fight here, but anyone who thinks this shit won't be on network TV is seriously delusional. The bar has been lowering for years now, and this is the point we're at.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He's right. FX opened the door, and the networks jumped in right behind it. And now FX is going even further, if you've seen the ass-fest that is "Nip/Tuck" this season.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Coming soon: Rosie O'Donnell's pimpled, pock-marked ass, to a TV screen near you. :-X

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

yeah, i saw a commercial for Nip/Tuck... with Rosie O'Donnell making the "Indecent Proposal" ... offering a hundred grand to sleep with the doctor... yuck.... like a hundred grand would cover that..... yeesh.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not a moral tight ass by any means, and my plans for kids are still three or four years into the future, but every now and then, I watch stuff like the Cosby show on cable and you really can see how far the bar has fallen in just 15 years. Bill Cosby used to be able to make people laugh without every joke being about threesomes, and it's a shame that lazy writing now dominates television. What did they do every episode of Friends the last, oh, eight seasons? Made jokes about sex. And hey, that's cool. I usually laughed, and as a 20-something, it was something I could relate to. But you know what was way funnier? The poker episode. The game-show episode. The Thanksgiving episodes. Those were funny, and made the show worth watching. The sex jokes just became a crutch the show leaned on more and more. I don't mind sex jokes now and then, but it's too frequently the go-to joke for sitcom writers now. It's too bad.

I don't, however, imagine anything will change, so I look forward to explaining Dirty Sanchezes and Rusty Tombones to my 13-year-old in 2025, which at this rate, will probably be on Nickelodeon.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So go ahead, buckweaver:

"Brittany and Amanda...."

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I'll start for Buckweaver...

"Brittany and Amanda, see how pretty her face skin is? Know how it got that way? Neutrogena? Not exactly."

10. poindexter

Brittany and Amanda, this is something you may be interested in.... until the day you get married.

Ask mom. ;D

11. poindexter

My wife and I probably want to talk about this stuff on our terms, not a dopey tv show's.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, I see what you're saying, poin, but does your desire to deal with this "on your own terms" outweigh the enjoyment of the masses? It might; I don't know; I'm just asking. And even if you don't think this was "enjoyment for the masses," allow the possibility that it was for some factions of the viewing public.

Draft saved Draft deleted