1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV station picks up (and runs) sideline audio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I saw this video on ESPN last week of Mark Mangino screaming at one of his players, with about 12 f-bombs going with it. Here's the whole story behind it:

http://www.kansas.com/249/story/171684.html

Here's the video:

It obviously raises some questions about journalism and the Web. Personally? I think the coach probably shouldn't be screaming at his players near the camera area if he doesn't want a camera to pick it up.

Thoughts?

2. i thought he was really going to explode

3. Was the camera recording their defensive plays?

4. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

there's no news value in the audio.

"breaking news: coach curses on sidline!!!!!"

so what? the guy deserved a butt-chewing. it was a dumb penalty. and he looked like a goof on that dive. Only the severely naive would be shocked or offended by football coaches using the f-word. it happens at every level from JC to FBS.

the tv station had to have some smear campaign going to put that up. or whoever's making the decisions is one of the naive. to me, that's equivalent to putting up video of me sitting at my desk typing.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I thought Mangino made a total assclown of himself.

Act like you've been there before, Coach. This ain't high school.

Bear Bryant did it right better. He would put his hand on a kid's shoulder, lean in close so the folks thought he was consoling the guy, and he'd say: "You dumb sumbitch, you ever do sumthin' like that again and I'll kick your sorry little ass all the way back to Tuscaloosa."

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fixed

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You miss the point. It isn't about cursing, it's about the abusive attitude toward the player. The same point can be made with the same severity and the same language, but without the insanity.

You want to call them "student athletes," you should have better teaching methods.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Football coaches scream at players, dropping f bombs and doing all sorts of vulgar shit. That's not the issue, in my eyes.

The issue is whether the TV station should've put the unedited footage on its Web site, and whether Kansas has the right to be pissed since there's apparently no argument that the tirade was obtained within the rules of the credential.

Draft saved Draft deleted