1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV shows that should have been good but weren't

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, May 16, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gilligan's Island.

If they had made it darker -- maybe with the boat being boarded by Somolian pirates and the Howells trying to smuggle a boaload of 10-year-olds from Ethipia to work in a sweatshop, it could have been funnier.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Law & Order" was pretty good.

But it ended up being cancelled.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

They should have given Bonanza more time to find its audience.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was hip. It was smart. So people had to say they loved it (or preferred it over 30 Rock) so they would appear, you know, hip and smart.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Cooper's dream was in the third episode.

Twin Peaks trafficked in the "bizarre" almost from Day One.

It should have been better over the course of its run, absolutely. But "bizarre" is what Lynch does.

Absolutely. I guess my expectations should have been low after Voyager was so consistently terrible.

But Enterprise was a major blown opportunity. When they shoehorned the Borg into a plotline, that was the end.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That may be a part of it. I can't say I ever loved it. There were some moments that it lived up to its potential, with a lot of mediocrity in between.

Sports Night does not belong on a list of shows that weren't as good as they should have been. It was damn good. Just didn't last.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Love both story arcs. I want to see first drafts of scripts by the end of this week - get busy.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I qualified my statement by saying it took a turn for the "very bizarre," which is to say it became bizarre without a point. At least with Cooper's dream there was a point as he tried to solve Laura's murder. It didn't help that the soap opera-ish storyline that was what really hooked everybody in the beginning gradually took a back seat to the weird shit.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, that was acknowledged before. "sports night" belongs in the same category as, say, "freaks & geeks," shows that should have been more successful but weren't.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Concur about "Studio 60." Great cast. One of the best pilots I've ever seen. Every episode after that disappointed me terribly. I was happy when it was cancelled.

"Flashforward" was the first show name that popped into my head when I saw the thread title.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Murder One. Was supposed to be the next big Steven Bochco splash after NYPD Blue. Daniel Benzali had the making of great screen presence, and Patricia Clarkson as his wife was a treat. Plus had the gal from In Plain Sight as a young lawyer. But Benzali ended up having no charisma, and the writing was too ponderous to create much excitement about the one case they focused on the first season. Didn't stick around to see if Anthony LaPaglia made the show any better when he replaced Benzali.

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

In a weird way, it's a good thing that Sports Night didn't last, because it means that Aaron Sorkin didn't have time to fuck it up any further than he already had in season two (Pixley? Dana's Dating Plan? Paula Marshall the "choreo-animator"? All lousy ideas) and he moved on to create The West Wing, which when it hit on all cylinders was damn great TV. Studio 60 never lived up to its potential because Sorkin developed a God complex, believing his own hype that because he was Aaron Sorkin, he could write around major problems - in Studio 60's case, Amanda Peet's pregnancy and the fact that Matthew Perry and Sarah Paulson had negative chemistry - and people would watch anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted