1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV shows that hold up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 6, 2009.

1. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

I'm still a big fan of Full House and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You know one that doesn't hold up? Three's Company. I used to *love* that show when I was a kid.

Now, I see re-runs and can't believe how horribly not funny it is.

"Oh, this is the one with the horrible misunderstanding!"

3. "The Wonder Years" still holds up remarkably well whenever you can find it on. It was a show that was clearly, clearly anchored in the late 1960s and '70s, and at the same time struck such universal chords about coming of age.

I also think "Friends" holds up very well, though I know it's not cool to say it. I will say this - the early seasons, when it was at its popularity apex, actually hold up pretty poorly. Lots of cringe-worthy, contrived one-liners and such. A lot of too cool for school moments. Really hit its stride in whatever season Ross met the English chick and Monica and Chandler became an item. There were a few great years where they realized they didn't have to make each person the most popular guy from the neighborhood - but before they devolved into characters (particularly Monica).

A lot that's universal in that show, too, about the transition into adulthood.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I sat through two or three Cheers during a rain delay earlier this season and couldn't believe how hollow it was.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not to mention the implausible plotline about a guy having to pretend to be gay in order to shack up with two babes. These days, as long as the landlord is getting his/her money, they don't care if you're into full-on bestiality.

Please note, I say implausible plotline because the show was based in reality. It's not the same as the scenarios depicted in "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie" where you knew in advance that you had to suspend your disbelief in order to even watch the show at all.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Although they're not sitcoms at all, I still love watching old episodes of "The Match Game" and "The Gong Show." Everyone is loaded and making inappropriate jokes, so it's all good times.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In I Dream of Jeannie, the least plausible thing in the whole show was Roger Healy being an astronaut.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Hard to believe this thread has gone 2 1/2 pages and no one has mentioned The Twilight Zone. Great stories and very understated acting. Still one of the best shows ever made.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

And a major in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Match Game rules. I watched a bunch of clips the other night on YouTube. It's not very realistic now because Charles wouldn't be able to sit there and puff his pipe and the FCC would go totally bonkers over all of the sexual innuendos (we can't have fun anymore, can we?) but it's still a riot.

11. highlander

highlander Member

I know they are seriously dated but I still like watching "Adam 12" and "Dragnet" at lunch time.

Watched "West Wing" this morning. That show as times is almost like a one-hour movie. The scenes at time are truly moving. This morning Toby arranged for a homeless veterans funeral. It was really moving with music. They just don't but effort into shows like they used too.

12. highlander

highlander Member

Dr. Johnny Fever: "Booger"

Draft saved Draft deleted