1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV shows canceled too early

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDJournalist, May 15, 2013.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

One of the cruel things about getting attached to a television show is the fact that at any moment it can end prematurely, without a proper conclusion, simply because it doesn't attract enough viewers.

Another cruel thing is there often isn't an answer after the fact. The writers, for some reason, nor the producers tell us what would have happened had it been allowed to reach that conclusion. Another cruel thing is the fact that conceptually brilliant shows often don't work long term because the viewers are too stupid to know a good thing.

Two such shows stand out in my mind:
    1. Fox's "Drive," which lasted four episodes and was the tale of some sort of cross-country death race hybrided with a large sum of prize money;

2. CBS's "Joan of Arcadia," which ended far too prematurely and left every viewer pondering its meaning.

I'm sure there are others like this (Jericho, John Doe or Smallville, anyone?), so what rings in your mind?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Smallville?
    That lasted, like, nine seasons.
    Might as well put Law & Order on the list.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's Your Move - 1980s Jason Bateman sitcom
    Boomtown
    Smith
    Body of Proof

There was an alien conspiracy show that was on after Lost. I can't remember the name of it, but I remember being really surprised when it only lasted one or two seasons...

The most obvious answers that will be listed here are:

Freaks and Geeks
    My So-Called Life

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sports. Motherfucking. Night.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

EZ Streets

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Keen Eddie.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Better Off Ted
    Eyes

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Are you thinking of "The Nine"?
    Wasn't about aliens, but a bank robbery and its aftermath. They tried to get into some conspiracy stuff and bad decisions made by the survivors. It was very much in the same vein as Lost, where they'd show flashbacks to the robbery and then bounce back to the present. It was gone after a season which, of course, left plenty of dangling plot threads.

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

The worst thing is when the endings don't make sense and you're left hanging, as you are with "Joan" and "Drive."

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

24, obviously.

11. Mizzougrad96

The Nine was pretty good too... I think the show I'm thinking of is "Invasion"

12. Mizzougrad96

How many seasons did that get? Was it two or three?

Draft saved Draft deleted