1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV or print journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoopsfan23, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

So much depends on where you're doing this. ESPN goes through research drones like some folks do tissues - several folks I know have gone that route and been miserable, a couple are quite happy. If that's what you're talking about, be wary. On the other hand, if you're involved in researching and putting together specific magazine type stories, it might be great.

At least you're not talking about local TV sports, it appears. That's good, because the consultants keep pushing stations to cut, cut, cut sports until eventually there's not going to be anything left. Some stations have already gone that route.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True.

And, Dan, construction managers are at the whim of the economy, often have to travel for weeks on end and work long hours. Other than that, it's a great job.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Wow. Maybe it's my market, but here, sports gets almost as much time as news some days. Three or four days a week, they get more.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

It's definitely your market. I have a pair of friends working in NFL cities who get two minutes at 6, 2:45 at 11 at this point.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

At my shop it's 2:15 at 5:30pm and 2:30 at 10pm, and this is a city with all 4 major sports and a major D-I university.

One station in town eliminated sports a few years ago but brought it back within months. I think the backlash was pretty severe. The average viewer doesn't care much about sports, but you look like a Mickey Mouse organization if you don't have a sports department.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Our guys get 3 at the lowest end and 5 at the top end. On big prep or D-1 nights, they get half the show.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I say follow your heart. If it works out, more power to you.

But consider what Dan said.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

And I would tell you not to listen to Dan.

"TV is just full of bullshit" is the stupidest statement I've ever seen on this board, which is saying something. EVERY job is full of bullshit. The best wade through it, and succeed in spite of it.

All my life, I wanted to be a sportswriter. I chose my university because it had a student paper that sent generations of journalists into the newspaper world. When I left -- without a degree -- I couldn't get a job. It was 1993, the economy was in the toilet and I couln't get an internship. I fought and scratched and freelanced for a year, but realized it wasn't going to happen. That's when I moved into sports radio.

Now, a lot of people laugh at sports radio. And, much of that laughter is deserved. I was fortunate that I work in Toronto, which has a real good station. But that was my last chance. I knew at that moment, that what I did there would make or break my career. Three years later, I was in television -- a total neophyte, almost completely untrained for the medium.

Again, I knew there were plenty of people with Dan Rydell's attitude towards TV. But what he -- or anyone else -- thinks shouldn't matter to you. What do you think? If you want to do newspaper, radio or TV -- and do it well, you can. Yes, there's a ton of bullshit. Yes, there will be people you can't stand. Yes, there will be ridiculous decisions made that affect you negatively. All of those things wil make you want to kill someone.

But, at the end of the day, if you outwork people, if you come up with good ideas/good stories, if you listen to the people who will help you, if you keep a positive attitude -- you can succeed beyond your wildest dreams.

I know because I did. Good luck.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think it'd be like a newspaper that didn't have a sports section or even a sports page. I remember a faculty advisor telling me that some people buy the paper just to read the sports section. If she was right, if that's not there, there's no incentive for some people to buy the paper.

I wonder who had the idea to eliminate sports and how he/she ended up having to eat crow?

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"EVERY job is full of bullshit. The best wade through it, and succeed in spite of it."

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's the beauty of TV management. No one ever eats crow. They blame it on the consultant, and consultants are fired every two years so nothing is ever a manager's fault.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Hoops, I think you should give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. I was considering moving over to the broadcast side after a couple more years of print, but now I am not so sure because of the job market where I live. I can tell you that broadcast professors have told me that the transition back to print from television is very easy.

My opinion to you is to give broadcast a try and if it is not your cup of tea in a couple of years time, go back to print.

Draft saved Draft deleted