1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV Landers: Best "All in the Family" episode

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Jun 13, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

The two that stick out in my mind are the Sammy Davis Jr. episode; when Archie was locked in the basement and thought Jefferson's friend was God coming to get him; and when Archie was going back to school to get his GED.

Yours?

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

One of my favorite ones was when someone who was a relative but not a close relative of Archie Bunker died. Archie wasn't under any legal obligation to pay for the burial and was complaining about it as he and Mike were discussing it and the cost. At the end, Mike said he was surprised so many people were there considering the deceased really didn't seen to have people close to him. In the closing line, Archie says "When Archie Bunker gives a funeral, people come."

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I think that relative was Uncle Oscar and, yes, the show was a riot. But the funniest, I think, was when Archie and Edith went to LA to visit Mike and Gloria around Christmas. Mike and Gloria had separated but they weren't telling and I believe it was a two-parter but it was a riot.

Then, I have to mention the episode where Edith was raped. It was a definite combination of crying and laughing and I don't mind admitting that.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

How about when Archie and Edith went to visit Maude for her daughter's wedding?
    Forgot about that one. They birthed Bea Arthur's career as we know it.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Isn't that three? (Although I agree the first two are classics. The one where Gloria and Mike leave for California is a tear-jerker and Edith going through the change of life is classic.)

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Sammy Davis episode would be right up there but my fave was the one where Maude came to look after everyone when they came down with the flu.

My old man always said the episode where Edith died was the best one in the show.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Sammy Davis, hands down.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stifle, Archie. Stifle, STIFLE, STIFLE!

The one where Edith died was indeed quite good. Sad as hell but good.

9. brilliant show

i'm always amazed how well those episodes hold up

10. markvid

markvid Guest

But you could never think of doing a show even close to that these days.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Three favorite moments (not episodes per se)

1. Archie Bunker breaking into God Bless America and inserting "You Dumb Polack" into the lyrics with Meat shouting "You're racist" and Archie's L'il Goil bawling.

2. Two words: Cling peaches.

3. Archie arm-wrestling with the career bachelor ... "He's right, Archie."

YHS, etc

12. printdust

printdust New Member

I can't count.

Draft saved Draft deleted