1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV folks expect pay for OT, sue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I'll never tell, Feb 11, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Being a copy editor, I would normally back you on the first part, but in my situation the big beat writers work WAY more overtime than I have in my entire career. Any copy editor who works more than 40 hours does so by their own choice (and some do). My boss is on salary and he gets here at least 30 minutes before me every day. When I fill in for him, I do the same. I might come in a bit later one other day or I might not. Depends on how I feel, but it's my choice. But anyone who works more than 20 or 30 minutes over 8 hours in a day without getting paid is just dumb. And if I am asked to work an extra shift, I get paid or get a different day off. We pretty much work a straight 8 hours, so sometimes we get dinner, sometimes we don't. And sometimes we get out early, and sometimes we don't. Usually pretty much evens out for the copy editors in my shop.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In my second job, I worked occasional unpaid OT if I was covering something that I'd thought would make for a good clipping. I sure as heck wasn't going to do it to cover a JV swimming event. Point out that you're filling that time, and seek suggestions and feedback (ooh, big corporate buzzword!) on what they want you to cut out.

Usually the bosses will back down when you offer to show them exactly what you're doing.

Plus, if the boss gives you the "We'll find someone who can do it in 40" line, offer to sit down with him and go over what you're actually doing for those 40 hours (unless you're goofing off, of course).

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I once replaced a guy who routinely worked 60 hours and put himself down for 40. When I got in there, if I worked 45, I was putting 45 on the time card. Guess what the response was from the higher-ups. "The guy before you did a lot more and worked less, why is that?"
    You think you're helping yourself, but really you're fucking over everyone else. And what does it get you? My first job in TV I worked off the clock all the time. I reasoned that I was still in college and was learning a lot more from actually doing the job than from the professors so I was getting something out of it and besides, it would put me in a great place for a long, successful TV career. Well oops, my TV career stalled out so in the end it was probably not worth it.
    Even now I put in quality work, not as much quantity as the department had a few years back when there were more people, but I'll wager any dollar amount you like that my CEO doesn't so much as know my name, let alone how many awards I have on my desk, so what's the point of putting in extra? It won't get me anywhere.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Just for the record, there was no insult intended, and I'd hope copy editors wouldn't hate reporters for saying or thinking such a thing. It's just a fact.

If you want anything resembling normal hours, either time- or schedule-wise, or if you want a more-regulated workload in journalism, you go into copy-editing. Indeed, it is often the main motivation for having or taking the position.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Anyone who works more than 40 hours, period, does so by their own choice.

Either way, it doesn't make unpaid overtime any less illegal.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Never said it did. No question about the second part. But if you are on a major beat, you are expected to work more than 40 hours a lot of weeks, and most places use the comp time thing to get around it. It's not right, but it is how it has been for decades (or longer). I'd guess a slew of lawsuits would change things.

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Not sure if it's the same way everywhere, but at a former stop, the law said comp time is in fact legal but must be "comped out" in 48 hours after which, if not redeemed, it must become overtime.

While none of us are doing manual labor, how many more professions would really put up with widespread non-payment of overtime in non-salary based jobs? People would probably form unions or such for the mistreatment.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit naive or just ignorant here, but wouldn't most major beats (meaning any pro or major college beat) be salaried positions? If for nothing more than simplicity?
    It seems like trying to keep up with what hours were and weren't worked in what's essentially a 24/7 job would be extremely difficult for employee and employer alike.
    I always figured those jobs paid better not just because they were more difficult and top of the food chain jobs, but because the pay rate was adjusted to take into account the extra hours, travel, etc., required.

9. I'll never tell

Our beat guys are. The secondary writers on the beats are not.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

As I understand it, state law varies as to what types of positions can be salaried. Management sometimes is a requirement.

11. I'll never tell

That is very true. At former location, I was salaried. Then I wasn't.

The bean counters found out that they'd misapplied the law for years. Correctly, it said: To be salaried management, your primary duties were managerial and you had to met the requirement of a certain number of employees. Also, you could specifically be performing the duties of those under you.

As I was writing and designing as much if not more than managing, that voided me. As it did the photo editor. The metro editor stayed. Features didn't meet the minimum employees.

They were none too happy.

12. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I know of plenty of people in my company that work unpaid OT. Sure, the sports guys will get comp time, but that's not necessarily the case for news folks.

The reasons are the same ones people have already mentioned in this thread. And it won't change unless someone files a complaint with the department of labor or sues the company.

Draft saved Draft deleted