1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV dramatic series suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2009.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

NYPD Blue, especially with Bobby and Andy. What a great show in those years.
    Oh, and a second for "Homicide." Andre Braugher (sp??) was incredible. Whole show was great, but him especially.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

The problem with NYPD Blue is there are only four seasons on DVD.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend checking out some BBC stuff. Some of their mystery series are really good

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

With you on that one.

The series was based on the book by David Simon, "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets".

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Considering Homicide as well (I watched a few episodes, but not many, back during its original airing). You can get the entire series (7 seasons) on Amazon right now for about $60.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Coke, screen. Screen, that was Coke.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Season 1 was unbelievably amazing but, as I've said on other TV threads on this site, the show was clearly not meant to go more than one year. It's like someone had this great idea for a series, plotted it all out to perfection and then was told "Oh, um, we're going to need to keep this thing going."

Season 2 wasn't even all that bad, either. I liked it until the very end when they, once again, went overboard to keep the series going.

At that point it became just a completely different show. If you watched Season 3 and season 4 as standalones, they'd make great TV but they pale in comparison to the red hot way the show started.

Still, I loved it. Finished the whole series and the movie and felt better having watched it.

Other suggestions from my Netflix History (I can say that all these shows were awesome): In Treatment, The Wire, The Sopranos, NYPD Blue, Rescue Me, the Shield, House, Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, Jericho (A must watch), The Wire, Grey's Anatomy (the early years), Day Break, Friday Night Lights, Damages and Kidnapped.

Good luck, You can't go wrong with any of those.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You're right. I thought last year was # eight. Season seven did suck. It completely sucked, really. Having just gone through the synopses of each season to refresh my memory, I think the first and fifth seasons were the strongest.

And I'm pretty sure this will be the last year for 24. I recently read that the show will end for good in May. And Jack will be killed off in a two hour feature film. I wouldn't mind that.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'll defend the second season of Prison Break. They couldn't continue the show reusing the format from the first season and keep the narrative tension going (one could argue the thing should've just been structured as a one-season one-off anyway, but it was doing too well for that to be allowed to happen). Anyhow, I think Season 2 holds up. That season with Bunny Colvin with a bad Latin American accent shanking people in a Central American prison lost me, however.

Seconded for Battlestar Galactica. I just got Season 4.5, which completes my collection. I need to just marathon that shit over the upcoming holiday weekend. I watched the miniseries again after finishing the finale and, overall, it was an amazing journey.

Lost is pretty much my favorite show of all time, so I have to recommend it. I can't wait for it to be complete after this season. Season 5 gave me more hope than ever that there's actually some sort of coherent line to resolve that thing.

10. highlander

highlander Member

Jericho, Battlestar Gallatic (new one), Murder One (first season), Lonesome Dove and The Rat Patrol (sorry just kidding, but I did enjoy it).

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

As cheesy as it looks now, the first two seasons of Miami Vice are great.

12. highlander

highlander Member

The Miami Vice episode with Glen Frey was excellent.

Thought of another good series that was canceled too early "Over There"

Draft saved Draft deleted